Home » Opinion » Editorials
Domestic violence A legal tweak to save lives
It is surprising that New Hampshire’s criminal code has no “domestic violence” classification. If it did, the legal system might be able to prevent some horrible acts of domestic abuse.
Senate Bill 318, introduced by Sen. Donna Soucy, D-Manchester, would tag the term “domestic violence” onto the end of some criminal offenses committed against family members and romantic partners. For instance, a person convicted of first degree assault against a stranger would have “First Degree Assault” written into his criminal record, but a person convicted of the same offense against a spouse, child or romantic partner would have “First Degree Assault — Domestic Violence” written into his record.
Police and prosecutors say the paper trail this creates would help to identify and stop repeat abusers. It is information that could save lives. It is hard to think of a good argument against it.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Liberty Utilities requests 46% electric rate hike - 6
- Fuller Oil facing $4.7M suit over oil payments - 2
- PSNH projects bills could rise by less than 1 percent next year - 0
- Utilities plan $3 billion natural gas pipeline - 1
- Alternative energy vehicles rule Mount Washington Auto road - 0
- Natural gas pipeline still holds promise for Groveton - 1
- Bird causes Concord-area power outage Monday - 0
- Swanzey solar array should be completed by end of 2014 - 1
- New Londonderry transmission line project will add 60 more utility poles - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Nashua man accused of cutting wife’s throat committed to psychiatric hospital - 1
- Two may have stabbed each other in Concord parking garage incident, police say - 0
- Manchester joyride in a stolen truck lands two in handcuffs - 0
- High School Football Power Poll: Some shuffling in the middle - 0
- License revocations for DWI announced - 0
- Pamela Diamantis: USNH’s tuition freeze offer is good for NH’s future - 1
- Crosstown Variety Store robbed in Manchester - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio: A well-earned celebration for Sox. - 0
- A’s earn their way into postseason play - 0
Dover man's nightmare lesson for everyone
Fall hikers throughout NH put on notice
'Strange ideas' Banning guns made in NH
Personhood Controversial? Really?
License revocations for DWI announced
Racism in Lincoln? Looks more like ignorance