Home » Opinion » Editorials
Domestic violence A legal tweak to save lives
It is surprising that New Hampshire’s criminal code has no “domestic violence” classification. If it did, the legal system might be able to prevent some horrible acts of domestic abuse.
Senate Bill 318, introduced by Sen. Donna Soucy, D-Manchester, would tag the term “domestic violence” onto the end of some criminal offenses committed against family members and romantic partners. For instance, a person convicted of first degree assault against a stranger would have “First Degree Assault” written into his criminal record, but a person convicted of the same offense against a spouse, child or romantic partner would have “First Degree Assault — Domestic Violence” written into his record.
Police and prosecutors say the paper trail this creates would help to identify and stop repeat abusers. It is information that could save lives. It is hard to think of a good argument against it.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Pat Buchanan: The high price of papal popularity - 0
- Kathy Sullivan: Scott Brown does not get what 'pro-choice' really means - 13
- Deroy Murdock: Scott Brown's good case for a Republican Senate - 1
- Jonah Goldberg: Rise of the Clinton Democrats (not really) - 0
- Your Turn, NH -- Kelley Tambouris: I am a Manchester teacher, and I need more support - 20
- Political correctness could wind up killing a lot of Americans - 4
- Charles Krauthammer: Ebola vs. civil liberties - 0
- Wayne F. Lesperance Jr.: Republicans are poised to win the Senate... maybe - 3
- George Will: The fictitious war on women - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Another View -- John H. Sununu: Voters, pick a governor who is serious about the Pledge - 1
- Team Obama: Faking right, voting left - 0
- Preventing riots: What should Keene do? - 0
- Manchester mayor asks aldermen to hold abandonded property owners accountable - 0
- Residents given Londonderry playing field priority - 0
- NH has 1,300 guardrail ends targeted in federal safety suit - 0
- Carignan promoted to deputy police chief in Nashua - 0
- Manchester Crimewatch: Meat cleaver has key role in threats, assault case - 0
- Mass. man charged with robbing Tobacco Junction store in Pelham - 0
Locked in a dead heat, Shaheen, Brown spar
NH's back-road rest areas fading away
Fall hikers throughout NH put on notice
Team Obama: Faking right, voting left
Preventing riots: What should Keene do?
Keene riots a focus of gubernatorial debate