Seven taken to Catholic Medical Center folllowing carbon monoxide leak in Manchester
MANCHESTER -- Seven people were transported to a city hospital Sunday night from an Auburn Street apartment building, suffering from exposure to carbon monoxide.
Manchester District Fire Chief Michael Gamache said emergency crews were called to 243 Auburn St. at 6:40 p.m. Sunday, after multiple residents began complaining of headaches on the second floor. Upon arrival, firefighters monitored the apartment and found elevated levels of carbon monoxide present in the apartment.
Several ambulances were summoned to assist firefighters as they treated seven exposed patients, ranging in age from 9 to 64 years of age. One patient was unresponsive when firefighters arrived, and all seven were transported to Catholic Medical Center for treatment of exposure to carbon monoxide.
Firefighters identified a heating unit in the building they say was malfunctioning and disabled it. The apartment was ventilated until carbon monoxide readings were reduced to zero. Firefighters cleared the scene at 7:58 p.m.
Gamache said there were no carbon monoxide detectors in the apartment building, which records show is owned by a Demetrios Krideras.