Home » News » Public Safety
New York City woman latest to be rescued in New Hampshire mountains
A New York City woman, who left her ice-climbing companions in search of a new route up the Ammonoosuc Ravine on Mount Washington, was rescued by New Hampshire Fish and Game officers Saturday night.
Dale Edwards, 32, of the Bronx, was hiking with companions from Ottawa, Ontario and Brooklyn, N.Y. in the rugged ravine on the south side of the Cog Railway, Fish and Game officials said.
The trio was in an area Fish and Game officials describe as "well off trail" when Edwards apparently tried to find a new route up an icy flowage. She was unable to return to the group, but each of the hikers continued their journey up the mountain with the expectation that they would meet at the top of the climb.
Edward called a friend in North Conway for help and seven members of the Fish and Game Department's Advanced Search and Rescue Team were dispatched to go look for her.
The two other hikers in her party were located by phone in the Lakes of the Clouds hut operated by the Appalachian Mountain Club, which was not staffed at the time.
Conservation officers found the woman at about 10:15 p.m. and she was able to hike with them down the trail.
In a statement, Fish and Game officials said Edwards "kept a level head and used her skills and available gear to ultimately get herself back to a known location."
The group was experienced, had done extensive research on their planned hike, and were appropriately dressed for the winter adventure, the statement said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Rymes Oil employees pull Bradford man from flaming wreck, but driver succumbs to injuries - 0
- Keene man killed in work accident in Troy Monday - 0
- Teen driver dies after being pulled from icy waters in Londonderry - 8
- Trio escapes Claremont fire after smoke wakes resident - 0
- Man suffers life-threatening injuries in Little Cohas Brook crash - 0
- Tractor-trailer pulls down poles, wires, closing part of Route 28 in Epsom - 0
- Commission honors seven for contributions to state firefighter training - 0
- Lost hikers found safe in Gilsum - 1
- Woman thrown from horse, injured - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Manchester Turkey Bowl will go as scheduled - 0
- Red Sox think they got free agent signings right this time - 0
- Turkey Bowls: Passion always on the menu - 0
- Manchester Turkey Bowl: Crusaders aim to rewrite history - 0
- Dave Solomon's Power Plays: Who knew what and when in PSNH scrubber case? - 0
- Story of Marine Memorial at Hampton Beach begins with Bill Downs - 0
- Immigrants include ethnic dishes at their Thanksgiving table - 0
- Puritans in America: Daniel Webster on religion's role - 0
- Mitt Romney is out front, but says he's not running again - 0
On being American: A point for reflection
Your Turn, NH -- Mike Moffett: Republicans can win in 2016 with Kasich at the top of the ticket
Person found dead in Manchester alley