Home » News » Public Safety
New York City woman latest to be rescued in New Hampshire mountains
A New York City woman, who left her ice-climbing companions in search of a new route up the Ammonoosuc Ravine on Mount Washington, was rescued by New Hampshire Fish and Game officers Saturday night.
Dale Edwards, 32, of the Bronx, was hiking with companions from Ottawa, Ontario and Brooklyn, N.Y. in the rugged ravine on the south side of the Cog Railway, Fish and Game officials said.
The trio was in an area Fish and Game officials describe as "well off trail" when Edwards apparently tried to find a new route up an icy flowage. She was unable to return to the group, but each of the hikers continued their journey up the mountain with the expectation that they would meet at the top of the climb.
Edward called a friend in North Conway for help and seven members of the Fish and Game Department's Advanced Search and Rescue Team were dispatched to go look for her.
The two other hikers in her party were located by phone in the Lakes of the Clouds hut operated by the Appalachian Mountain Club, which was not staffed at the time.
Conservation officers found the woman at about 10:15 p.m. and she was able to hike with them down the trail.
In a statement, Fish and Game officials said Edwards "kept a level head and used her skills and available gear to ultimately get herself back to a known location."
The group was experienced, had done extensive research on their planned hike, and were appropriately dressed for the winter adventure, the statement said.
READER COMMENTS: 4
- One-alarm fire kept to chimney area of Bridgewater home - 0
- Nashua woman hurt in Pelham crash - 0
- Man hurt in fall from tree stand in Swanzey - 0
- Officials: Manchester's crime rate showing sizable decline - 0
- Spaulding Turnpike speed limit headed up from 55 to 65 - 0
- Chemical spill at Nashua North sends 6 to hospital - 0
- Enfield home destroyed by 3-alarm blaze - 0
- State: Range of staffing issues led to 'bad outcomes' at Lakeview NeuroRehabilitation - 0
- Driver loses control, crashes into four vehicles at Hudson auto body shop - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Man charged in Manchester stabbing - 0
- Hampstead home invasion suspect wants evidence tossed - 0
- Police say man swung ax at ex - 0
- Celtics dominate Orlando - 0
- Bruins hold on in Minnesota, beat Wild in OT - 0
- Andreoff hat trick paces Monarchs - 0
- Board of Ed finds in favor of Goffstown; Dunbarton plans Supreme Court appeal - 0
- More theft-related charges for Raymond woman - 0
- Derry Administrator opposes council goal of cutting Derry tax rate - 0
Police arrest pair after bullets fly
Jeb takes a dip: First Flavor of the Week
Charles M. Arlinghaus: Read these books, OK?
Vermont's disaster: An Obamedy of errors
NH reacts to thaw with Cuba
Power Plays: BANANAS and NH's energy needs
Police: Man endangered child after overdose