Home » News » Public Safety
Sanbornton residents evacuated in suspected gas leak
Sanbornton fire officials evacuated about a dozen people from apartments on New Hampton Street after an odor of what seemed to be propane gas was found in the building.
But it wasn't the gas that prompted the evacuation, it was the chemical that is added to naturally odorless propane and natural gas go give them their distinctive "rotten egg" smell as a safety measure.
Firefighters were called to 666 New Hampton St., which houses five apartments and the Sanbornton General Store, shortly before 8 a.m. Residents were evacuated from the building because of the strong odor. Some of the residents reported feeling ill, apparently due to the odor.
Sanbornton Fire Chief Paul Dexter said crews determined that the smell which prompted the call to police was from the odor-causing chemical and not from the gas itself.
"The tanks were nearly empty," Dexter said. "The smell was actually the methanethiol in the pilot lights on a commercial stove.
The pilot lights were lit, but because the propane came from the bottom of the tank, the gas flowing to the pilot lights consisted of a large dose of the odorant and a small amount of actual gas. While it was enough gas to keep the pilots burning, the flames were not strong enough to burn off the chemical.
A propane supplier was called in to refill the tanks and firefighters took readings from various spots in the building to determine that no gas had leaked into the apartments. In addition to the commercial stove in the general store, three of the five units had propane-fired heating units.
Residents were allowed back inside after the building was ventilated.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Derry teen credited with saving home from kitchen fire - 1
- Nashua YMCA lifeguard: ‘My training just kicked in and instincts took over’ - 0
- Milford police officers want to meet you for coffee - 1
- Nashua parents: Clean up the sidewalks for students' safety - 0
- Manchester police car in collision at Union and Hayward streets - 0
- Northwood fire prompts firefighters to urge residents to clean chimneys - 0
- Rochester pedestrian, 18, struck, suffers minor injuries - 0
- Haverhill man receives call every homeowner dreads - 0
- Three firefighters recovering after injuries in fast-moving Claremont house fire - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Little Green has quartet of contenders for New England wrestling championships - 0
- Roger Brown's High School Basketball: Madness has arrived - 0
- Monarchs: Let's play three - 0
- Another View -- Diana Lacey: Union Leader editorial got gas tax hearing all wrong - 0
- Obamacare's new trick: Only temporary relief - 0
- Banning cell phones: Impulse shopping in the House - 0
- Cannon Mountain skiers head to Paralympics - 0
- John Stossel: Budget baloney - 0
- Another View - Betsy McCaughey: The Obamacare horror stories are not lies - 0
Fremont's Miss 1964 to pass on her crown
John Stossel: Budget baloney
Bad Joe: Levasseur stalls again
House says no to bill to reduce NH meals tax
Good Joe: Kenney for Executive Council