Martin Luther King Jr. Day is today
Liz Walker, now the pastor of Roxbury Presbyterian Church in Boston, speaks to the crowd after Saturday's 32nd annual MLK celebration at First Baptist Church of Nashua. (BARBARA TAORMINA PHOTO)
“They are words of inspiration that feed our minds and souls and hearts,” said Lozeau.
Walker said Americans tend to do everything to excess, a characteristic that actually works in the case of love.
Walker’s father was also a minister. She grew up in a church-centered home but said her vision of the role of faith changed after watching and listening to King.
Since the start, music has played a key role in the First Baptist MLK celebrations. On Saturday, the New Hampshire Gay Men Chorus was scheduled to perform, but the group got caught in a Manchester snow jam. There were still plenty of high notes from the First Baptist Church Choir, the New Fellowship Baptist Church Gospel Choir, and soloists Julia Leonard and Sophia White.
For Walker, King’s message of equality, understanding and respect is essential for a world that faces a critical choice between division or unity.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you - 55
- Portman's good point: A leadership deficit all around - 3
- Wheeler in Dist. 5: A GOP fighter for the little guy - 3
- GOP for legal pot? Hemignway's high help - 12
- Obama's indecision: In NH, only Ayotte urges action - 50
- Concealed controversy: Our 'Mother, may I' gun policy - 45
- Innis in the 1st: A strong choice for Congress - 11
- Obama waits: A terror threat grows - 41
- For U.S. Senate, Scott Brown best NH candidate come November - 73
READER COMMENTS: 0
- On Baseball: Fisher Cats manager Meacham learned a few things, too - 0
- First and 10: Old No. 1 begins as new No. 1 - 0
- NHIAA Girls' Soccer Preview: All eyes on Bedford, Exeter - 0
- Another View -- Dan McGuire: We Free Staters are not some threat to be feared - 0
- Taxpayer rights: Left, right should restore them - 0
- No paper Monday - 0
- Patriots' Garoppolo solid, but Giants eke out 16-13 win in preseason finale - 0
- Education business tax credit program upheld - 0
- Russian troops capture key Ukrainian town - 0
Enter to win tickets to see Paula Poundstone
Win tickets to see Steven Wright
Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you
Weekly brother gave police wrong name
Hooksett highs: A good multiple choice test