Martin Luther King Jr. Day is today
Liz Walker, now the pastor of Roxbury Presbyterian Church in Boston, speaks to the crowd after Saturday's 32nd annual MLK celebration at First Baptist Church of Nashua. (BARBARA TAORMINA PHOTO)
“They are words of inspiration that feed our minds and souls and hearts,” said Lozeau.
Walker said Americans tend to do everything to excess, a characteristic that actually works in the case of love.
Walker’s father was also a minister. She grew up in a church-centered home but said her vision of the role of faith changed after watching and listening to King.
Since the start, music has played a key role in the First Baptist MLK celebrations. On Saturday, the New Hampshire Gay Men Chorus was scheduled to perform, but the group got caught in a Manchester snow jam. There were still plenty of high notes from the First Baptist Church Choir, the New Fellowship Baptist Church Gospel Choir, and soloists Julia Leonard and Sophia White.
For Walker, King’s message of equality, understanding and respect is essential for a world that faces a critical choice between division or unity.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Pipeline protest in Fitzwilliam - 0
- Poll shows Groton voters oppose new wind plants - 2
- Opposition lines up against new Alexandria wind plant proposal - 1
- PSNH's rate request puts it lower than competitors, a reversal from last year - 6
- Pipeline meeting in Mason draws big crowd - 0
- Kinder Morgan reveals route for pipeline at Milford meeting - 1
- Nature vs. man: Keeping the lights on - 1
- Pipeline pushback seen in NH - 7
- Meeting will inform Mason residents about proposed pipeline - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Two Manchester women arrested in separate shoplifting incidents in Hooksett - 1
- Maine police search car belonging to husband of Londonderry shooting victim - 0
- Man arrested after chase, threatening to shoot police in Bow - 0
- Good Samaritan pins Manchester purse snatcher - 0
- Homeless man who saved woman from river: 'I don't consider myself a hero' - 9
- High School Basketball: Rivalries renewed in QCIBT - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Will they get everything on their list? - 0
- Tuohy brothers add new restaurant in familiar spot - 0
- New Horizons volunteers deliver groceries and good cheer, making Christmas special - 0
Londonderry schools placed on lockdown after soldier's unplanned visit to high school causes alarm
Police say woman tried to steal 15 iPads