Gov. Hassan visits Pittsfield school to see impact of redesign plan
Pittsfield Middle High School sophomores Kyle Hamel and Lilly Plummer stand with Gov. Maggie Hassan Friday as the school gave the governor a demonstration of its change to “student-centered” learning. (DAN SEUFERT PHOTO)
Hassan was witness to the Pittsfield School District Redesign plan, the result of a community effort to improve the schools that began in 2009.
The school system adopted a “student-centered” learning approach that aims to put students first and empower them to take ownership of their learning. After a “self-discovery” process in which students learn the ways in which they learn best, each student develops individual learning plans, with help and support of fellow students, faculty, and family.
Aiding in the transition was a three-year, $2 million federal School Improvement Grant and a $200,000 grant the school received from the Nellie Mae Education Foundation, Freeman said.
She was impressed.
“Pittsfield students are taking responsibility for their own futures by engaging in developing their curriculum and by participating in extended learning opportunities outside of the classroom,” she said. “It is an impressive program and I look forward to the students’ progress and success.”
“This is extremely exciting, we are being recognized and acknowledged for transforming our school,” said Tobi Chassie, a district administrator.
“It’s engaging, definitely more hands-on than reading from a book,” said sophomore Lilly Plummer.
“It’s been a good change,” said Kyle Hamel, also a sophomore.
READER COMMENTS: 19
- Smith schools Hassan: Leadership in Londonderry - 0
- Where officers live: Manchester is missing the point - 3
- Leo Bernier: For Hillsborough County Commission - 0
- Insurance exchanges Sam's Club or Obama's club? - 11
- Garcia and Guinta: For a change, send them to DC - 21
- Jeanne's travel ban: She doesn't want Obama here - 14
- Making it up: Shameless state Senate attacks - 9
- Fixing Obamacare: Shaheen offers no way out - 41
- Team Obama: Faking right, voting left - 26
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Commodore Nutt takes D.C. by storm - 1
- School's out for voters - 0
- Kuster's abortion lies: Claims against Garcia are untrue - 7
- Brown, Shaheen run hardest where support is deepest - 0
- Jonathan E. Benedict - 0
- Drew Cline: GOP missed opportunities could mean trouble on Tuesday - 2
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Demaryius Thomas is x-factor for Broncos' offense - 1
- College Football: Big Green ready for tussle with Harvard - 0
- UNH Notebook: Albany is much improved - 0
Trump fired up over NH mailer