Special day observed with pride in Portsmouth
But it has been 25 years since Nate Holloway and a small group of Portsmouth area residents started the Seacoast Martin Luther King Jr. Day Coalition and breakfast event.
"Since my childhood where I witnessed segregation firsthand, the principle that discrimination has no place in our country has stayed close to my heart," Shaheen said.
But, she said, she also understands that the nation has yet to fully achieve King's dream.
The recognition of MLK, Jr. Day in New Hampshire did not come without a fight and was more than 20 years in the making, with Portsmouth Assistant Mayor and former representative Jim Splaine introducing the first legislation.
United States Rep. Carol Shea-Porter, D-NH, also spoke at the event.
"Each year we do need that moment, that pause, to remember why, what the history was," Shea-Porter said.
She said the nation still has problems, but the celebration of Martin Luther King Jr. Day should be a reminder to look to the politics of hope and reason instead of to the politics of despair.
"I think we need to think of him not as icon, but an inspiration," Smith said.
Nate Holloway was unable to speak during Monday's event, but his granddaughter, Courtney Harrison, read remarks on his behalf.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you - 55
- Portman's good point: A leadership deficit all around - 3
- Wheeler in Dist. 5: A GOP fighter for the little guy - 3
- GOP for legal pot? Hemignway's high help - 12
- Obama's indecision: In NH, only Ayotte urges action - 50
- Concealed controversy: Our 'Mother, may I' gun policy - 46
- Innis in the 1st: A strong choice for Congress - 11
- Obama waits: A terror threat grows - 41
- For U.S. Senate, Scott Brown best NH candidate come November - 73
READER COMMENTS: 0
- On Baseball: Fisher Cats manager Meacham learned a few things, too - 0
- First and 10: Old No. 1 begins as new No. 1 - 0
- NHIAA Girls' Soccer Preview: All eyes on Bedford, Exeter - 0
- Another View -- Dan McGuire: We Free Staters are not some threat to be feared - 0
- Taxpayer rights: Left, right should restore them - 0
- No paper Monday - 0
- Patriots' Garoppolo solid, but Giants eke out 16-13 win in preseason finale - 0
- Education business tax credit program upheld - 0
- Russian troops capture key Ukrainian town - 0
Enter to win tickets to see Paula Poundstone
Win tickets to see Steven Wright
Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you
Tuition tax credits make a return