Home » News » Public Safety
Team effort rescues hikers on Mount Washington
"This was a colossal team effort from many groups in the New Hampshire Search and Rescue community," Snow Ranger Christopher Joosen said in a new release issued Monday.
A party of 15 from Bloomsburg University in Bloomsburg, Pa., attempted to hike Mt. Washington's summit, setting out early Sunday morning, according to Joosen. But a smaller group later decided to separate and head back down to Pinkham Notch while the larger group continued to the summit, he said.
Meanwhile, the larger party had reached the summit and started back down in what Joosen described as deteriorating weather conditions
"Members from Mountain Rescue Service, the New Hampshire Fish and Game and U.S. Forest Service Snow Rangers made up three mixed teams," Joosen said.
"Two snow vehicles moved rescuers up and down the mountain, and finally, the lost group on the descent. Additional support, equipment and rescuers from the Appalachian Mountain Club, The Harvard Mountaineering Club, the Mount Washington Observatory, Friends of the Mount Washington Avalanche Center and the Mount Washington Auto Road helped tremendously," Joosen said, before the operation was completed at about 3:30 a.m. Monday.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- UPDATED: Distracted by dog, woman downs two utility poles on Manchester’s Varney Street - 1
- Review of West High intruder case to be behind closed doors - 5
- Cause of $1.4 million house fire in Plainfield remains unknown - 0
- Injured dirt bike rider in ICU - 0
- Woman who jumped in front of Amtrak train identified - 0
- Busy day for White Mountain National Forest rescuers - 0
- Franklin convenience store damaged by fire - 0
- Derry firefighters commended; fire investigation continues - 0
- Deadly crash driver: 'I was distracted' - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Body of woman found under Claremont bridge - 0
- Woman sentenced to a year in jail for crash - 0
- New tech course open to students in Londonderry - 0
- UPDATED: Nashua man accused of beating girlfriend - 0
- Developer granted permit for wind tower in Alexandria - 0
- Manchester Crimewatch: Man faces charge of simple assault against son’s mother - 0
- NHIAA Boys' Soccer: Bedford, Concord deadlock - 0
- NHIAA Boys' Soccer: Central shows title mettle - 0
- Dave D'onofrio Patriots Notebook: Don't expect Patriots to fix this - 0
Hillary Clinton to join Shaheen fundraiser
Racism in Lincoln? Looks more like ignorance
State surplus isn't big enough
Weare police sergeant's firing rescinded
Planned Parenthood endorses Hassan
By the horn: Feds owe NH man an explanation