Home » News » Public Safety
Report says more officers needed in Nashua
"What we should have is 87.5 functional officers," Pease said. During December 2012, the department had only 77 functional officers as part of the patrol division, but it has since increased its strength to 83 functioning patrol officers, Pease said.
Before Police Chief John Seusing or the Nashua Police Commission make any formal recommendation for additional hires, Seusing said it is important to review how many civilian roles are being filled by sworn officers.
If additional officers are approved, Seusing said the department should be focusing its manpower on Main Street, the downtown area and the Tree Streets community.
Lima said overtime costs have been reduced since six patrol officers were added. He also said the number of functioning officers fluctuates, adding the force is currently at the high mark with just two officers in training or at the academy.
The comprehensive workload assessment report is about 30 pages and is still being finalized. Once the report is complete, Commissioner Thomas Pappas, board chairman, said it will be made available to the public and to the Board of Aldermen for review.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Rymes Oil employees pull Bradford man from flaming wreck, but driver succumbs to injuries - 0
- Keene man killed in work accident in Troy Monday - 0
- Teen driver dies after being pulled from icy waters in Londonderry - 8
- Trio escapes Claremont fire after smoke wakes resident - 0
- Man suffers life-threatening injuries in Little Cohas Brook crash - 0
- Tractor-trailer pulls down poles, wires, closing part of Route 28 in Epsom - 0
- Commission honors seven for contributions to state firefighter training - 0
- Lost hikers found safe in Gilsum - 1
- Woman thrown from horse, injured - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Henniker police shoot suspect in truck heist - 0
- More than 200,000 New Hampshire customers without power - 0
- Thanksgiving travel a nightmare as storm dumps heavy, wet snow - 3
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Pats put selves in strong position - 0
- Manchester Turkey Bowl will go as scheduled - 0
- Red Sox think they got free agent signings right this time - 0
- Turkey Bowls: Passion always on the menu - 0
- Manchester Turkey Bowl: Crusaders aim to rewrite history - 0
- Dave Solomon's Power Plays: Who knew what and when in PSNH scrubber case? - 0
Person found dead in Manchester alley
On being American: A point for reflection
Your Turn, NH -- Mike Moffett: Republicans can win in 2016 with Kasich at the top of the ticket