Home » News » Public Safety
Manchester to hire 5 more officers
Mayor Ted Gatsas announced the plan at Tuesday's meeting of the Board of Mayor and Aldermen, following a presentation in which Police Chief David Mara outlined his request for additional officers.
The presentation marked the first time that Mara made his staffing request explicit since new numbers confirmed that crime has surged over the past year, increasing 24 percent in 2013 over the previous year, led by a 46 percent jump in robberies.
Mara pointed out that calls for service increased 6 percent from 2012 to 2013, and 12 percent over the past decade.
"We're going to keep advocating for more police, but we also have to understand the budgetary constraints," he said. "But as the chief of police, my job is to inform aldermen and the public what the needs are."
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Talk of 'wings on pigs' threats on police tests U.S. speech rights - 0
- Brentwood police look to increase coverage after officer's death in May - 4
- Londonderry schools placed on lockdown after soldier's unplanned visit to high school causes alarm - 38
- Police investigate report of shots fired - 0
- Manchester blaze that left dozens homeless was accidental - 0
- Milford woman injured in Bedford crash - 0
- Park on any side of the street in Manchester during Christmas week - 0
- NYC mayor wants protests on hold after police deaths - 0
- Mother of two says she's lucky, even though condo destroyed in blaze - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Two Manchester women arrested in separate shoplifting incidents in Hooksett - 1
- Maine police search car belonging to husband of Londonderry shooting victim - 0
- Man arrested after chase, threatening to shoot police in Bow - 0
- Good Samaritan pins Manchester purse snatcher - 0
- Homeless man who saved woman from river: 'I don't consider myself a hero' - 9
- High School Basketball: Rivalries renewed in QCIBT - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Will they get everything on their list? - 0
- Tuohy brothers add new restaurant in familiar spot - 0
- New Horizons volunteers deliver groceries and good cheer, making Christmas special - 0
Londonderry schools placed on lockdown after soldier's unplanned visit to high school causes alarm
Police say woman tried to steal 15 iPads