Mar 5, 2014
Feb 26, 2014
Feb 19, 2014
Feb 6, 2014
Man pleads guilty to shooting at Manchester police officer
Gauthier entered a guilty plea in Hillsborough County Superior Court North to attempted murder for firing one bullet that missed Brown, and nine other charges involving drugs, guns and his flight.
If Abramson rejects the terms, Gauthier can withdraw his pleas and go to trial.
He didn’t stop, so Brown, who knows the area, sought to take a route to cut off Gauthier.Brown called out to Gauthier: “Stop. Show me your hands.” Gauthier spun around. “He was holding a black semiautomatic handgun,” said LaFrance, and Brown saw Gauthier raise the gun, point it at him and fire. The two men were between 20 to 30 feet apart.“(Brown) felt the concussion from the blast,” said LaFrance, who said the bullet from the Beretta 9 mm gun landed behind Brown. Brown then fired two shots at Gauthier. Both Brown and Desmarais then continued to pursue Gauthier, who finally responded to commands at Silver and Lincoln streets, about a block from where the chase began. LaFrance said: “(Gauthier) went to the ground on his stomach.” During his flight, Gauthier had discarded three loaded handguns, including the one he used to shoot at Brown. When he was caught, said LaFrance, he had in his possession 256 oxycodone pills, $800 in cash in his wallet and $930 in a roll secured by a black hairband in his pocket.
“He didn’t want to be caught with guns and drugs,” said LaFrance.
Although Gauthier had a probation violation pending at the time and had previous convictions for theft by unauthorized taking and drug possession, his attorney, Andrew Winters, said: “There were traumatic events in his life that led him down this path ... to this poor judgment.”
LaFrance said sentencing is part punishment and part general deterrence. When someone fires a gun at a police officer, it is not just at the individual officer, she said, “but at police officers in general.”
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Raymond police investigating thefts of cord wood - 0
- Pelham police arrest Mass. man near scene of thefts from cars - 0
- UPDATE: Boscawen police have two men in custody - 0
- Dover man accused of robbing woman at knifepoint - 0
- Man faces many charges following Milford rampage - 0
- Accused New Ipswich bank robber says he shouldn’t be on the streets - 1
- Manchester man accused of violating bail conditions - 0
- Jury: Bow roofer swindled customers in Rockingham County. - 0
- Voyeurism complaints against former UNH athletic staffer stem from Vermont game - 4
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Roommate convicted of selling heroin out of former Manchester teacher's home - 0
- Manchester fire heavily damages one apartment - 0
- Senate passes Medicaid expansion on bipartisan vote - 3
- House kills suicide-related bills - 1
- Staples to shut 225 stores as online competition hurts sales - 0
- Derry teen credited with saving home from kitchen fire - 0
- St. A Hawks grounded by the Chargers - 0
- Manchester Memorial’s reign comes to an end - 0
- MTA seeks shift to city’s health plan - 1
House votes for cellphone ban while driving