Home » News » Public Safety
Peterborough water main repairs were a challenge for workers
The 100-year-old water line is about 20-feet below the ground surface, Bartlett said. Typically water lines are five to 10 feet underground; however, this line which dates to about 1900 had been covered with material over the years from the late 1950s construction of the bridge at Route 101 and 202 and construction of Route 101.
Town employees soon learned that the project would need outside help, he said.
Mathewson Construction crews were brought in Tuesday to assist with larger excavation equipment.
The second repair was completed mid-Thursday, he said.
Those without water included the Chamber of Commerce, the Big Apple Convenience Store and Shell Station and two homes on Bridge Street.
The Dunkin’ Donuts inside the Big Apple remained open by shuttling coffee from its Route 202 location to the Route 101 one, Bartlett said.
The old water main is to be replaced in 2018 when the state replaces the bridge at Routes 101 and 202.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Manchester fire heavily damages one apartment - 0
- Derry teen credited with saving home from kitchen fire - 1
- Nashua YMCA lifeguard: ‘My training just kicked in and instincts took over’ - 0
- Milford police officers want to meet you for coffee - 2
- Nashua parents: Clean up the sidewalks for students' safety - 0
- Manchester police car in collision at Union and Hayward streets - 0
- Northwood fire prompts firefighters to urge residents to clean chimneys - 0
- Rochester pedestrian, 18, struck, suffers minor injuries - 0
- Haverhill man receives call every homeowner dreads - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Firefighters battle blaze at Pittsfield pizza plant - 0
- Allen Lessels' UNH Notebook: Wildcats, Hogan not finished yet - 0
- Little Green has quartet of contenders for New England wrestling championships - 0
- Roger Brown's High School Basketball: Madness has arrived - 0
- Monarchs: Let's play three - 0
- Another View -- Diana Lacey: Union Leader editorial got gas tax hearing all wrong - 2
- Obamacare's new trick: Only temporary relief - 8
- Banning cell phones: Impulse shopping in the House - 4
- Cannon Mountain skiers head to Paralympics - 0
Fremont's Miss 1964 to pass on her crown
Obamacare's new trick: Only temporary relief