Home » News » Public Safety
Peterborough water main repairs were a challenge for workers
The 100-year-old water line is about 20-feet below the ground surface, Bartlett said. Typically water lines are five to 10 feet underground; however, this line which dates to about 1900 had been covered with material over the years from the late 1950s construction of the bridge at Route 101 and 202 and construction of Route 101.
Town employees soon learned that the project would need outside help, he said.
Mathewson Construction crews were brought in Tuesday to assist with larger excavation equipment.
The second repair was completed mid-Thursday, he said.
Those without water included the Chamber of Commerce, the Big Apple Convenience Store and Shell Station and two homes on Bridge Street.
The Dunkin’ Donuts inside the Big Apple remained open by shuttling coffee from its Route 202 location to the Route 101 one, Bartlett said.
The old water main is to be replaced in 2018 when the state replaces the bridge at Routes 101 and 202.
READER COMMENTS: 2
- Cause of 3-alarm Derry fire remains under investigation - 0
- Claremont police warn public about suspicious soda bottles - 0
- Mechanical failure ruled out in fatal plane crash that claimed lives of two Kingston men - 0
- UPDATED: Cause of three-alarm Derry blaze under investigation - 1
- Woman shot during Manchester drug raid ID'd - 0
- Weare police chief on leave amid domestic violence probe - 2
- Traffic backed up a mile in Hampton tractor-trailer accident - 0
- Citizen's Police Academy in Manchester set for Oct. 1 - 0
- Heating unit cause of blaze in Manchester - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Charles Arlinghaus: NH's job problem needs more than one fix - 0
- USNH's raw deal: Part deux - 0
- Every vote counts: Here is the proof - 0
- College Sports Roundup: NEC's Locke scores twice in soccer win - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Campbell, Jutras blank Gilford - 0
- Pirates stay hot, blank Red Sox - 0
- Londonderry police to open station to residents - 0
- Man accused of raping 13-year old in Nashua - 1
- NHIAA Golf: Crusaders teeing up special year - 0
Alleged accomplice in brutal Bedford home invasion, attack on doctor and wife, says his testimony was coerced
Man accused of raping 13-year old in Nashua
Seabrook mom pleads not guilty by reason of insanity to attempted murder of her two children
Win tickets to see Demi Lovato
Another View -- Sharon Day: The Democrats' claim to be the party for women is just not believable
Another View -- Bill Duncan: What did the NH Supreme Court really say about private school funding?
Every vote counts: Here is the proof