Home » News » Public Safety
Eight displaced in Franklin blaze
FRANKLIN - Eight people fled into the frigid cold early Thursday morning when their Auburn Street residence caught fire.
The second-alarm blaze was reported at 1:05 a.m. and when firefighters arrived on scene five minutes later, smoke alarms were sounding throughout the multi-family home and all eight occupants were safely out of the building, located at 18 Auburn St.
One resident was evaluated by EMTs but was not transported to the hospital, according to a fire official.
Residents took shelter at a neighbor's home and the Red Cross was notified to make lodging arrangements for them.
Firefighters had a tough time locating the flames which went into the walls and floors, as well as battling the blaze due to ice and the extreme cold. It took a little more than two hours for the fire crews to get the blaze under control.
One firefighter slipped on ice and was later examined at the hospital.
Officials believe the fire was caused by a second floor fireplace.
Seven area fire departments assisted at the scene while Andover Fire Department and Penacook Rescue covered the station. They ended up being called out to extinguish a vehicle fire.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Weare police chief on leave amid domestic violence probe - 0
- Traffic backed up a mile in Hampton tractor-trailer accident - 0
- Citizen's Police Academy in Manchester set for Oct. 1 - 0
- Heating unit cause of blaze in Manchester - 0
- Mother of Bedford student hit by car says safety should come first on school grounds - 5
- New Farmington police chief continues to build relationships in the community he’s served for 14 years - 0
- Keene police officer on bicycle struck by car - 0
- Antidote carried by NH first responders a life-saver for heroin overdoses - 0
- In neglect cases, indigent parents may lose legal help - 2
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Nashua man charged in domestic knife threat - 0
- Manchester man detained on Nashua rape charges involving child - 0
- Pair accused in Hampstead home invasion also face witness tampering charges - 0
- Gunman hits Circle K convenience store in Durham - 0
- Suicide car bomber kills 3 foreign troops in Afghan capital; Taliban claims responsibility - 0
- City officials to review proposed 'spice' ban - 0
- Widow of chiropractor killed this summer says fatal shooting was no accident - 0
- Manchester's Delana Curtis is left out in the cold - 0
- Another View -- Sharon Day: The Democrats' claim to be the party for women is just not believable - 9
DWI license revocations
Mexican man pleads guilty in international conspiracy to traffic hundreds of pounds of cocaine
Strategery: A war by any other name
Another View -- Sharon Day: The Democrats' claim to be the party for women is just not believable
Freeh dumb: Favoritism in Vt.?
Lawyer wants cellphone evidence thrown out
Deroy Murdock: Stuff the Obama lunch tax