Home » News » Public Safety
Eight displaced in Franklin blaze
FRANKLIN - Eight people fled into the frigid cold early Thursday morning when their Auburn Street residence caught fire.
The second-alarm blaze was reported at 1:05 a.m. and when firefighters arrived on scene five minutes later, smoke alarms were sounding throughout the multi-family home and all eight occupants were safely out of the building, located at 18 Auburn St.
One resident was evaluated by EMTs but was not transported to the hospital, according to a fire official.
Residents took shelter at a neighbor's home and the Red Cross was notified to make lodging arrangements for them.
Firefighters had a tough time locating the flames which went into the walls and floors, as well as battling the blaze due to ice and the extreme cold. It took a little more than two hours for the fire crews to get the blaze under control.
One firefighter slipped on ice and was later examined at the hospital.
Officials believe the fire was caused by a second floor fireplace.
Seven area fire departments assisted at the scene while Andover Fire Department and Penacook Rescue covered the station. They ended up being called out to extinguish a vehicle fire.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Merrimack fire quickly doused - 0
- UPDATED: One seriously hurt, 12 homeless after early morning Manchester fire - 0
- Snowmobiler injured while riding on Thornton golf course - 0
- Dartmouth under fire for response to incidents of rape on campus - 0
- NH hospital personnel to train for disasters - 0
- Snowmobiler dies; 4th fatality of season - 0
- Driver seriously injured in Londonderry wreck - 0
- Dover snowmobiler dies in Barnstead crash - 0
- Most property owners clear hydrants of snow - 0
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Katie McQuaid's Scene in Manchester: Parents share what 'CJ' taught them - 0
- Gilford High junior surprised by Francis Wayland Parker honor - 0
- Police bill disputed by Stewartstown and Colebrook ends up in court - 0
- New to Nottingham, fire victims plan to stay - 0
- Arts-based charter high school in Derry begins accepting applications - 0
- Troy voters accept community center donation - 0
- Voters support Bow School District articles - 0
- License revocations for DWI announced - 0
- Nashua mayor: Greeley Park is right spot for playground - 0
Police at scene of Center Ossipee shooting
New to Nottingham, fire victims plan to stay
Litchfield man found stabbed
Scott Brown's latest step stirs the pot
Hooksett's choices: Leave them to parents