Eight displaced in Franklin blaze
January 23. 2014 3:01PM
FRANKLIN - Eight people fled into the frigid cold early Thursday morning when their Auburn Street residence caught fire.
The second-alarm blaze was reported at 1:05 a.m. and when firefighters arrived on scene five minutes later, smoke alarms were sounding throughout the multi-family home and all eight occupants were safely out of the building, located at 18 Auburn St.
One resident was evaluated by EMTs but was not transported to the hospital, according to a fire official.
Residents took shelter at a neighbor's home and the Red Cross was notified to make lodging arrangements for them.
Firefighters had a tough time locating the flames which went into the walls and floors, as well as battling the blaze due to ice and the extreme cold. It took a little more than two hours for the fire crews to get the blaze under control.
One firefighter slipped on ice and was later examined at the hospital.
Officials believe the fire was caused by a second floor fireplace.
Seven area fire departments assisted at the scene while Andover Fire Department and Penacook Rescue covered the station. They ended up being called out to extinguish a vehicle fire.