John Stark students get close look at forensics
Dr. Thomas Andrew, the state's chief medical examiner, visits John Stark Regional High School twice a year to lecture students about his work in the field of forensics. (COURTESY)
"But what really made me excited was when the medical examiner came to school and talked to us about all the things that go into his job," said Holmes. "I was thinking about majoring in forensics, but that really solidified it for me."
"We are so fortunate to have the leading expert in New Hampshire lecture to our classes," said Brady. "The students typically find him to be a great blend — he's informative, interesting and funny."
"I've always been strong in science and math, and when I watched the show "CSI" and took the forensics classes in high school, I knew this is definitely what I wanted to do in my future," said Laramee. "I loved the hands-on work that Mrs. Brady let us do, and I loved being in the lab."
Holmes may be following in Laramee's footsteps. She's already been accepted into the forensics program at the University of New Haven, her top choice school.
"I know that I have been successful with my students when they come in and complain that I have ruined the TV show "CSI" for them; they can no longer just watch it because they find themselves analyzing the evidence and character's choices," said Brady. "They're using the critical thinking skills they learned in class."
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Thomas Sowell: A primer on race and do-gooders - 0
- Ramesh Ponnuru: There is no basis for liberal Hobby Lobby outrage - 0
- Kathy Sullivan: NH energy projects should produce wins for everyone - 15
- Another View - Kevin Baine: No, the Hobby Lobby ruling won't deny anyone contraception - 6
- Jonah Goldberg: Liberals dislike America - 2
- Another View -- David Ignatius: Iran overplays its hand - 0
- John Stossel: There's capitalism, and then there's crony capitalism - 1
- David Harsanyi: Not surprising more Americans believe freedom is overrated - 1
- Gail Fisher's Dog Tracks: Water-loving dogs should be watched so they don't overdo it - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Mazzaglia to be sentenced Aug. 14 for murder of UNH student - 0
- Lost Massachusetts hikers found safe in NH - 0
- GOP criticizes Shaheen flip flop on gas tax - 5
- No one has a clear claim to NHMS supremacy - 0
- Sentence fragment: Coco's cuckoo release - 0
- Charles Arlinghaus: Does Concord have a big spending problem? - 1
- Ban fireworks? Get serious - 5
- Police say Manchester woman arrested for punching ex-boyfriend during custody exchange in Walmart parking lot - 1
Police say Manchester woman arrested for punching ex-boyfriend during custody exchange in Walmart parking lot
Bikers say under-30 generation isn't interested, and can't afford many of the top motorcycles
Praising freedom: While curtailing it
Ban fireworks? Get serious
GOP criticizes Shaheen flip flop on gas tax