Home » News » Public Safety
Cause of Wednesday Tilton fire undetermined
Tilton-Northfield firefighters and emergency medical crews were called to 29 North Windy Road by a caller reporting smoke from the building at 7:55 p.m., according to Interim Deputy Chief Tim Joubert.
Firefighters arriving on the scene minutes later found "a significant smoke condition" in the building, a single-family residence, which was a modified mobile home, Joubert said.
Capt. Sean Valovanie called for a first alarm to bring firefighters from surrounding towns to the scene and to cover the Tilton-Northfield station.
"Tilton-Northfield's Engine 3 crew conducted an aggressive interior attack, quickly finding the seat of the fire and knocking it down," Joubert said.
A Franklin crew helped stretch a back-up attack line. The fire was quickly brought under control, which allowed fire crews to check for possible extensions of the fire and to start to overhaul the structure "within a short time of arriving on scene," Joubert said.
Damage to the structure was extensive, he said, with significant smoke, heat and water damage throughout. Joubert estimated the damage to be at least $150,000.
"The building was unoccupied and the cause of the fire undetermined at this time," Joubert said.
Fire departments from Franklin, Sanbornton and Belmont responded to the scene, providing manpower and water. Laconia and New Hampton firefighters provided station coverage. Tilton Police provided assistance at the scene.
"The first arriving crew did an excellent job. They knew exactly where the home was located and were able to plan while responding resulting in a quick and effective mitigation of the hazard," said Fire Chief Mike Robinson.
READER COMMENTS: 4
- Weare Deputy Chief Sean Kelly set to manage Weare Police Department - 0
- Lizard in food sends 300 schoolchildren to hospital - 0
- Body found under Manchester bridge identified as local woman - 0
- Communications giant chips in for generator for Derry FD - 0
- Londonderry family fair returns but child safety is still the theme - 0
- Girl, grandmother escape fire in Rochester home with no detectors - 0
- Motorcyclist in serious condition after crash in Rochester - 0
- Manchester police officers to be honored for work in unresolved West Side stabbing death - 5
- Authorities say smoking ignited oxygen in Derry apartment building fire - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Vailas rallies UNH football to 29-26 win over Richmond - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Raiders should be tucked away early - 0
- St. Anselm football wins home opener, goes to 3-0 - 0
- SNHU golfer Nutter earns weekly honor - 0
- Dover's Helliwell wins ACT Invitational - 0
- Concord, Pinkerton, Coe-Brown runners win - 0
- Nashua South gets on track by beating Merrimack - 0
- Pinkerton stuffs Salem late, holds on - 0
- Dartmouth football wins opener over Central Conn., 35-25 - 0
Goodell vows domestic violence change