Home » News » Public Safety
Cause of Wednesday Tilton fire undetermined
Tilton-Northfield firefighters and emergency medical crews were called to 29 North Windy Road by a caller reporting smoke from the building at 7:55 p.m., according to Interim Deputy Chief Tim Joubert.
Firefighters arriving on the scene minutes later found "a significant smoke condition" in the building, a single-family residence, which was a modified mobile home, Joubert said.
Capt. Sean Valovanie called for a first alarm to bring firefighters from surrounding towns to the scene and to cover the Tilton-Northfield station.
"Tilton-Northfield's Engine 3 crew conducted an aggressive interior attack, quickly finding the seat of the fire and knocking it down," Joubert said.
A Franklin crew helped stretch a back-up attack line. The fire was quickly brought under control, which allowed fire crews to check for possible extensions of the fire and to start to overhaul the structure "within a short time of arriving on scene," Joubert said.
Damage to the structure was extensive, he said, with significant smoke, heat and water damage throughout. Joubert estimated the damage to be at least $150,000.
"The building was unoccupied and the cause of the fire undetermined at this time," Joubert said.
Fire departments from Franklin, Sanbornton and Belmont responded to the scene, providing manpower and water. Laconia and New Hampton firefighters provided station coverage. Tilton Police provided assistance at the scene.
"The first arriving crew did an excellent job. They knew exactly where the home was located and were able to plan while responding resulting in a quick and effective mitigation of the hazard," said Fire Chief Mike Robinson.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Abby says it's incredible to be home; mom tells TODAY daughter did not run away - 9
- Dozens of ill Keith Urban fans treated at concert near Boston - 0
- Five hikers rescued in separate incidents Saturday - 2
- Powerboat hits canoe on Winnipesaukee - 5
- Police search for driver in Hollis hit-and-run - 1
- Canoe, powerboat collide on Lake Winnipesaukee - 0
- Brothers escape being hit by circling boat - 1
- Cornish truck driver charged in fatal Merrimack crash - 3
- Truck flips on I-93 at Exit 4 on-ramp in Londonderry - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Distracted legislating: Our baseless cellphone ban - 0
- Another View -- Betsy McCaughey: Our free lunch President - 0
- Another View -- Karlyn Borysenko: Workplace bullying is a serious problem, governor - 0
- Workplace abuse: Governor gets one right - 0
- Red Sox pull Lester from Wednesday start amid trade rumors - 0
- Accused Abby kidnapper Kibby had past minor brushes with police - 0
- Police say youths at New Boston underage drinking party resisted arrest - 0
- Man hospitalized following Rochester shooting; suspect still at large - 0
- Muskrats, Swamp Bats split twinbill - 0
Win tickets to see ZZ Top
Win tickets to see the Pretty Reckless
When company comes, opt for variety
Abby's alleged kidnapper held on $1M bail
Win tickets to see Ziggy Marley
Voting in NH: Not just for NH residents
Gorham man arrested for kidnapping Abigail
Market Basket community waits and watches