Home » News » Public Safety
Cause of Wednesday Tilton fire undetermined
Tilton-Northfield firefighters and emergency medical crews were called to 29 North Windy Road by a caller reporting smoke from the building at 7:55 p.m., according to Interim Deputy Chief Tim Joubert.
Firefighters arriving on the scene minutes later found "a significant smoke condition" in the building, a single-family residence, which was a modified mobile home, Joubert said.
Capt. Sean Valovanie called for a first alarm to bring firefighters from surrounding towns to the scene and to cover the Tilton-Northfield station.
"Tilton-Northfield's Engine 3 crew conducted an aggressive interior attack, quickly finding the seat of the fire and knocking it down," Joubert said.
A Franklin crew helped stretch a back-up attack line. The fire was quickly brought under control, which allowed fire crews to check for possible extensions of the fire and to start to overhaul the structure "within a short time of arriving on scene," Joubert said.
Damage to the structure was extensive, he said, with significant smoke, heat and water damage throughout. Joubert estimated the damage to be at least $150,000.
"The building was unoccupied and the cause of the fire undetermined at this time," Joubert said.
Fire departments from Franklin, Sanbornton and Belmont responded to the scene, providing manpower and water. Laconia and New Hampton firefighters provided station coverage. Tilton Police provided assistance at the scene.
"The first arriving crew did an excellent job. They knew exactly where the home was located and were able to plan while responding resulting in a quick and effective mitigation of the hazard," said Fire Chief Mike Robinson.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Nashua man who died jumping off bridge to escape heat identified - 0
- Pit bull owner sought in fatal attack on another dog near Tuckerman Ravine - 5
- Man's body pulled from Merrimack River - 0
- Free gun lock giveway begins Sept. 1 in Conway - 0
- Victim identified in fatal Pelham motorcycle accident - 0
- Man killed in Pelham motorcycle accident identified as local man, 24 - 0
- Manchester man seriously injured after driving into oncoming traffic - 0
- Derry police continue to look for missing gun left in courthouse bathroom - 0
- Backyard boulder kills Raymond homeowner - 2
READER COMMENTS: 0
- On Baseball: Fisher Cats manager Meacham learned a few things, too - 0
- First and 10: Old No. 1 begins as new No. 1 - 0
- NHIAA Girls' Soccer Preview: All eyes on Bedford, Exeter - 0
- Another View -- Dan McGuire: We Free Staters are not some threat to be feared - 0
- Taxpayer rights: Left, right should restore them - 0
- Hooksett highs: A good multiple choice test - 0
- No paper Monday - 0
- Patriots' Garoppolo solid, but Giants eke out 16-13 win in preseason finale - 0
- Education business tax credit program upheld - 0
Enter to win tickets to see Paula Poundstone
Win tickets to see Steven Wright
Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you
Tuition tax credits make a return