Home » News » Public Safety
Fire destroys mobile home, wooden rooster collection
LaBraney was at his trailer at 15 Hill Road on Wednesday with his girlfriend, sitting on the couch watching television.
"Then she smelled smoke," LaBraney said, declining to name his girlfriend.
"We pulled everything away from the walls, and we found the back of the couch was smoking, and there was an outlet looked like it was smoking," he said.
LaBraney called 911 and both fled the home, unhurt.
By the time the fire department arrived, the small, older-model trailer was a complete loss, said Fire Department Capt. Bruce Goldthwaite.
"We believe the fire was caused by an electrical problem, it is not suspicious," Goldthwaite said.
LaBraney said he and his girlfriend feel lucky to be alive, and are glad a relative is providing them with a temporary home.
But he is worried because he didn't have the trailer insured.
On Friday, he walked through the charred remains of the trailer. A flat-screen television was melted. The furniture was ruined, the windows broken, and the building reeked of ash and smoke.
"I don't know what I'm going to do, I had no insurance, and I lost everything here," he said.
Of prime concern seemed to be his girlfiend's woodeb rooster collection.
"She spent her whole life collecting those, and they're all trashed," he said, dropping a charred wooden rooster on the floor.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Powerboat hits canoe on Winnipesaukee - 2
- Police search for driver in Hollis hit-and-run - 1
- Canoe, powerboat collide on Lake Winnipesaukee - 0
- Brothers escape being hit by circling boat - 1
- Cornish truck driver charged in fatal Merrimack crash - 2
- Truck flips on I-93 at Exit 4 on-ramp in Londonderry - 0
- Salem family ldisplaced by house fire - 0
- Mother says Abigail in 'deteriorated' health - 17
- Investigators release sketch of man who may have driven Abigail away - 15
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Cumberland Farms robbed; third store hit this month in Rochester - 0
- E-cigarettes find a market in NH - 0
- Real estate transfer tax proposal pulled off table - 0
- Protesting information: Picket sign o' the times - 0
- Another View -- Mike Biundo: Where is Shaheen's gas price outrage now? - 2
- Seabrook's message: No one above the law here - 1
- Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notebook: A humbling — and inspiring — event - 0
- Developer says proposed LNG plant in Groveton 'on hold' - 2
- Motivation Matters: 'Giving 110 percent' says more than you think - 0
Win tickets to see Cher's D2K Tour
E-cigarettes find a market in NH
Protesting workers nix Market Basket amnesty
Faith and freedom; a near-martyr comes to NH