Home » News » Public Safety
'Team effort' rescues 15-year-old basketball player stricken by heart attack during game
Nancy Parsons, principal at Lebanon High School, said sophomore Chris Roberge was "doing very well" at Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center on Saturday. "He is responding with head shakes, yes and no. He recognizes people," she said.
Chris is the son of Carline Roberge of Lebanon and John Roberge of Groveton; his stepfather is Balvin Bowen, according to Parsons.
Hopkinton athletic director Dan Meserve and others rushed to help the stricken boy, who had no pulse and was not breathing. They performed cardiopulmonary resuscitation and used an AED, an automated external defibrillator.
Meserve was running the clock when the Lebanon coach called over to him, asking for help. "He said, 'I need a trainer now. One of my players is in trouble,'" he said.
Meserve started doing CPR, and someone ran for the AED, which was close by. "We had to shock him twice," Meserve said.
Meserve said one of the officials and two parents who had medical backgrounds stepped up to help. "It was an absolute team effort," he said. "It really was, in a sad, strange way, nice to see everybody just get together and do this."
And on behalf of the Roberge family, he said, "we just can't express enough thanks for everybody that was there."
In August, Meserve took a refresher course in CPR, where the instructor suggested singing the song "Stayin' Alive" while performing chest compressions to keep the correct rhythm. And that's just what he did as he worked on Chris, he said. "I'm actually singing out loud, 'Stayin' Alive.'"
"God wasn't ready for him yesterday, thank heaven," she said. "It wasn't his day to go."
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Abby says it's incredible to be home; mom tells TODAY daughter did not run away - 9
- Dozens of ill Keith Urban fans treated at concert near Boston - 0
- Five hikers rescued in separate incidents Saturday - 2
- Powerboat hits canoe on Winnipesaukee - 5
- Police search for driver in Hollis hit-and-run - 1
- Canoe, powerboat collide on Lake Winnipesaukee - 0
- Brothers escape being hit by circling boat - 1
- Cornish truck driver charged in fatal Merrimack crash - 3
- Truck flips on I-93 at Exit 4 on-ramp in Londonderry - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Distracted legislating: Our baseless cellphone ban - 0
- Another View -- Betsy McCaughey: Our free lunch President - 0
- Another View -- Karlyn Borysenko: Workplace bullying is a serious problem, governor - 0
- Workplace abuse: Governor gets one right - 0
- Red Sox pull Lester from Wednesday start amid trade rumors - 0
- Accused Abby kidnapper Kibby had past minor brushes with police - 0
- Police say youths at New Boston underage drinking party resisted arrest - 0
- Man hospitalized following Rochester shooting; suspect still at large - 0
- Muskrats, Swamp Bats split twinbill - 0
Win tickets to see ZZ Top
Win tickets to see the Pretty Reckless
Abby's alleged kidnapper held on $1M bail
Win tickets to see Ziggy Marley
When company comes, opt for variety
Dover man sought in Rochester shooting
Supporters are now 'Abby Strong'
Canobie Lake Park shuts down popular ride