Katie McQuaid's Scene in Manchester: Ali Baba Whole Foods Festival is exotic, and right next door
During my first trip to the Second Street store last week, I threw caution to the wind and purchased something I had never seen before called Helva. I was confident it contained pistachios, but knew nothing else about the dish until I took it home and Googled it before eating. It is an interesting sweet treat enjoyed in the Middle East and other parts of the world.
I had to give up my seat at last Tuesday's Politics & Eggs event at Saint Anselm College, so I sat in Donald Trump's seat instead.
Trump was the very captivating guest speaker, and unknowingly stole Mayor Ted Gatsas' seat at our table. I graciously got up so the mayor could have my chair instead, and realized the last available seat had Trump's name on it.
Shenanigans at Shorty's
I have had the privilege of working with many wonderful people at Shorty's Mexican Roadhouse, where I have been employed off and on since I was 17 years old. My husband and I (we met while working there in 1999) had a chance to catch up with many old friends at last week's Shorty's alumni reunion.
NH365.ORG Wine Events of the Week
A selection of this week's wine tastings, wine socials and wine dinners taking place across the state can be found at www.NH365.org, including the 11th annual Easter Seals Winter Wine Spectacular this Thursday.
In addition to the expected raffles and silent auctions, this year's event throws some new shopping technology into the mix.
If you have an interesting item for Scene in Manchester, write to Scene@UnionLeader.com.
READER COMMENTS: 3
- George Will: How Obama has worsened inequality - 1
- Fergus Cullen: How an insured family, mine, ended up on the ACA exchange - 11
- John Stossel: The bogus war on women - 7
- Sheridan Brown: NH is vulnerable to an oil spill and needs some protection - 2
- Al Felgar: Patients can’t wait for state to fix narrow Obamacare network - 2
- George Will: The benefits of prudence - 0
- Jonah Goldberg: Paul and Cruz vie to become Reagan's heir - 0
- Thomas Sowell: Liberal education policies hurt minorities - 1
- Charles Arlinghaus: Yes, our paltry rainy day fund is a really big deal - 3
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Manchester police search for bank robber - 0
- Police investigating possible stabbing of man, 22, on Lake Avenue - 0
- As city health costs soar, ‘wellness’ post pushed in Manchester - 8
- Katie McQuaid's Scene in Manchester: Parents share what 'CJ' taught them - 0
- Gilford High junior surprised by Francis Wayland Parker honor - 0
- Police bill disputed by Stewartstown and Colebrook ends up in court - 0
- New to Nottingham, fire victims plan to stay - 0
- ‘Coffee with a Cop’ promotes police, community relations - 0
- Arts-based charter high school in Derry begins accepting applications - 0
License revocations for DWI announced
Police at scene of Center Ossipee shooting
New to Nottingham, fire victims plan to stay
Litchfield man found stabbed
Scott Brown's latest step stirs the pot
Hooksett's choices: Leave them to parents