Katie McQuaid's Scene in Manchester: Ali Baba Whole Foods Festival is exotic, and right next door
During my first trip to the Second Street store last week, I threw caution to the wind and purchased something I had never seen before called Helva. I was confident it contained pistachios, but knew nothing else about the dish until I took it home and Googled it before eating. It is an interesting sweet treat enjoyed in the Middle East and other parts of the world.
I had to give up my seat at last Tuesday's Politics & Eggs event at Saint Anselm College, so I sat in Donald Trump's seat instead.
Trump was the very captivating guest speaker, and unknowingly stole Mayor Ted Gatsas' seat at our table. I graciously got up so the mayor could have my chair instead, and realized the last available seat had Trump's name on it.
Shenanigans at Shorty's
I have had the privilege of working with many wonderful people at Shorty's Mexican Roadhouse, where I have been employed off and on since I was 17 years old. My husband and I (we met while working there in 1999) had a chance to catch up with many old friends at last week's Shorty's alumni reunion.
NH365.ORG Wine Events of the Week
A selection of this week's wine tastings, wine socials and wine dinners taking place across the state can be found at www.NH365.org, including the 11th annual Easter Seals Winter Wine Spectacular this Thursday.
In addition to the expected raffles and silent auctions, this year's event throws some new shopping technology into the mix.
If you have an interesting item for Scene in Manchester, write to Scene@UnionLeader.com.
READER COMMENTS: 18
- Alexandria support for wind farm not strong, officials say - 3
- Third wind farm company withdraws leases for Newfound-area project - 8
- NH officials again request options for Northern Pass path - 23
- Legislator calls for closing of Groton wind farm - 16
- PUC report says PSNH should sell its plants and the public should pay - 20
- Report on PSNH power plants heartens utility's competitors - 0
- NH high court to hear arguments on valuation of crude oil pipeline - 0
- More calls made to learn about past winter's energy price spike - 1
- Wind energy company cited for Groton violations - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Authorities detonate suspicious package left near Boston Marathon finish line on one-year anniversary of bombing - 0
- Flooding shuts down North Country highways - 0
- Officials say Northfield man presumed drowned after 'Polar Plunge' - 0
- Legislative committees move 4.2-cent-per-gallon gas tax increase closer to reality - 6
- Northfield man presumed dead after 'Polar Plunge' in Bristol - 1
- Power restored to downtown Manchester - 0
- Supreme Court: Liquor Commission, trial judge did not follow right-to-know law - 1
- Driver identified in fatal Northumberland crash - 0
- AG agrees man who killed woman, 70, in Littleton hotel was insane at time - 1
Premium spike: Obamacare costs NH
Flooding shuts down North Country highways
Authorities detonate suspicious package left near Boston Marathon finish line on one-year anniversary of bombing
Rep. Shea-Porter honored for efforts to aid in health care by National Association of Community Health Centers