Katie McQuaid's Scene in Manchester: Ali Baba Whole Foods Festival is exotic, and right next door
During my first trip to the Second Street store last week, I threw caution to the wind and purchased something I had never seen before called Helva. I was confident it contained pistachios, but knew nothing else about the dish until I took it home and Googled it before eating. It is an interesting sweet treat enjoyed in the Middle East and other parts of the world.
I had to give up my seat at last Tuesday's Politics & Eggs event at Saint Anselm College, so I sat in Donald Trump's seat instead.
Trump was the very captivating guest speaker, and unknowingly stole Mayor Ted Gatsas' seat at our table. I graciously got up so the mayor could have my chair instead, and realized the last available seat had Trump's name on it.
Shenanigans at Shorty's
I have had the privilege of working with many wonderful people at Shorty's Mexican Roadhouse, where I have been employed off and on since I was 17 years old. My husband and I (we met while working there in 1999) had a chance to catch up with many old friends at last week's Shorty's alumni reunion.
NH365.ORG Wine Events of the Week
A selection of this week's wine tastings, wine socials and wine dinners taking place across the state can be found at www.NH365.org, including the 11th annual Easter Seals Winter Wine Spectacular this Thursday.
In addition to the expected raffles and silent auctions, this year's event throws some new shopping technology into the mix.
If you have an interesting item for Scene in Manchester, write to Scene@UnionLeader.com.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Another View - Betsy McCaughey: The Obamacare horror stories are not lies - 9
- Thomas Sowell: Freedom is not free; you've got to fight for it - 1
- Michael C. Whitney: A small gas tax hike would be good for business - 7
- Jonah Goldberg: In the case of My Brother's Keeper, race does, and should, matter - 0
- Charles Arlinghaus: The NH Senate's Medicaid trap - 0
- Rep. William Butynski: A casino gambling plan that works for NH - 3
- George Will: Misreading Putin, and history - 4
- Rep. Kenneth Fredette: NH should avoid Maine’s Medicaid mistake - 5
- David Harsanyi: Social conservatives would benefit by embracing libertarianism - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NHIAA Boys' Basketball: Merrimack survives scare - 0
- NHIAA Tournament Roundup: Central breaks away from Exeter - 0
- College Hockey: Dartmouth drops tournament opener - 0
- FEMA OKs $8m for repairs in Lincoln, Lebanon - 0
- Official says Manchester lost out on $1.5m for cell tower court has now ordered built - 5
- John Habib's City Sports: Derryfield's 'Mouse' made his mark - 1
- Rondo leads Celtics past Nets - 0
- Hats off to O'Neill, Monarchs - 0
- NHIAA Boys' Basketball: Maughn, Memorial top Londonderry - 0
Obamacare's new trick: Only temporary relief