Katie McQuaid's Scene in Manchester: Ali Baba Whole Foods Festival is exotic, and right next door
During my first trip to the Second Street store last week, I threw caution to the wind and purchased something I had never seen before called Helva. I was confident it contained pistachios, but knew nothing else about the dish until I took it home and Googled it before eating. It is an interesting sweet treat enjoyed in the Middle East and other parts of the world.
I had to give up my seat at last Tuesday's Politics & Eggs event at Saint Anselm College, so I sat in Donald Trump's seat instead.
Trump was the very captivating guest speaker, and unknowingly stole Mayor Ted Gatsas' seat at our table. I graciously got up so the mayor could have my chair instead, and realized the last available seat had Trump's name on it.
Shenanigans at Shorty's
I have had the privilege of working with many wonderful people at Shorty's Mexican Roadhouse, where I have been employed off and on since I was 17 years old. My husband and I (we met while working there in 1999) had a chance to catch up with many old friends at last week's Shorty's alumni reunion.
NH365.ORG Wine Events of the Week
A selection of this week's wine tastings, wine socials and wine dinners taking place across the state can be found at www.NH365.org, including the 11th annual Easter Seals Winter Wine Spectacular this Thursday.
In addition to the expected raffles and silent auctions, this year's event throws some new shopping technology into the mix.
If you have an interesting item for Scene in Manchester, write to Scene@UnionLeader.com.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Three named to Manchester school posts - 0
- Derry Early Education Program to relocate - 0
- Manchester panel OKs new academic standards, despite Common Core criticism - 2
- Nashua school staff see tests as key to tracking student growth - 0
- Two Manchester schools off 'priority' list - 0
- Nashua officials seek advice on issue of student cellphone searches vs. privacy - 9
- Manchester school district makes bid to run Job Corps center - 2
- NEASC votes to reaccredit Central High - 1
- Londonderry school policy updates sought - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Charles M. Arlinghaus: Taxation without representation again? - 1
- Distracted legislating: Our baseless cellphone ban - 1
- Another View -- Betsy McCaughey: Our free lunch President - 1
- Another View -- Karlyn Borysenko: Workplace bullying is a serious problem, governor - 0
- Workplace abuse: Governor gets one right - 0
- Red Sox pull Lester from Wednesday start amid trade rumors - 0
- Accused Abby kidnapper Kibby had past minor brushes with police - 0
- Police say youths at New Boston underage drinking party resisted arrest - 3
- Man hospitalized following Rochester shooting; suspect still at large - 0
Market Basket community waits and watches
Win tickets to see ZZ Top
Win tickets to see the Pretty Reckless
Abby's alleged kidnapper held on $1M bail
Dover man sought in Rochester shooting
Supporters are now 'Abby Strong'
Canobie Lake Park shuts down popular ride