Four years after poor test scores, Pittsfield schools pull it together
“Student Centered Learning means that when teachers design lessons, they think about how can they put students in the center of everything, how to make work relevant to students so they find value in going through the exercise,” Graham said. “It also allows for some personalization for students in terms of what books they choose or types of projects they work on.”
“The teachers listen to you and if you have something you want changed or you can show a different way how you learn, they are so open,” she said. “I have friends who have 50 kids in a classroom with them and the teachers don’t have time for them. They tell me I am so lucky I have teachers who care about us.”
“Since coming here, everything I know about education has changed. We work to empower students so they that they feel ownership of the building. I am not teaching at students so much as I am working with them,” Dunlavey said.
Freeman agreed, saying the district’s improvement would not have been possible without the help of the community and an involved school board.
During a recent visit to Pittsfield, Gov. Maggie Hassan said she was impressed by the rapid improvement in the school district.
READER COMMENTS: 2
- New faces, proven veterans will assure Union Leader's solid hold on the news - 0
- Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notebook: A tough hike to see AMC 'croo,' but finding 'Quos' made the day - 0
- Publisher's Notebook: The candidate who can spell the name of every 80's sports car wins - 4
- Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notebook: A humbling — and inspiring — event - 0
- Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notebook: The grandson also rises - 1
- Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notes: My favorite things from one week this summer - 0
- Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notes: Sometimes, we have too much on our plates - 0
- Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notebook: Chickens come home to roost with lucky German golfers - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Kuster, Shea-Porter split on vote to arm Syrian rebels - 0
- Man arrested in White Park stabbing in Concord - 0
- Motorcyclist in serious condition at Maine hospital following crash on Route 125 in Rochester - 0
- Rochester 10-year-old, grandmother escape fire in home with no smoke detectors - 0
- Dean Kamen is a genius inventor, and he's pretty good at oratory, too - 3
- Tom Herzig's Trackside: Modified tour is shortened - 0
- Patriots Notebook: Pats wary of veteran playmaker Woodson - 0
- College Football: Expect offense when Richmond, UNH meet - 0
Keene man charged with assault on 2-year-old
Another View -- Bill Duncan: What did the NH Supreme Court really say about private school funding?
Every vote counts: Here is the proof
Casino gambles: Hopes dashed all over
Mark Hayward's City Matters: Dean Kamen is a genius inventor, and he's pretty good at oratory, too