All Sections
Welcome guest, you have 3 views left.  Register| Sign In

Home | Crime

UPDATED: Mass. man charged with kidnapping his former girlfriend; victim says she was denied restraining order

Union Leader Correspondent

January 28. 2014 8:31PM


NASHUA  — Following a lengthy standoff with police at a city motel, a Massachusetts man was arrested Tuesday for allegedly kidnapping a woman at gunpoint and holding her against her will for several hours.


Stanislav Osherov, 22, of 264 Grove St., Apt. 4 in Newton, Mass., is accused of holding his ex-girlfriend at gunpoint Monday night into Tuesday morning at Motel 6 in Nashua.


Local police were first alerted of a possible kidnapping around 10 p.m. on Monday and responded to Main Dunstable Road, near a 7-Eleven convenience store.


The victim’s mother had contacted authorities to inform them that her daughter was in danger, according to police.


“We had a lot of information coming from the mom of the victim,” said Lt. Denis Linehan. “That is how the information was being relayed to us.”


Although police did not identify the alleged victim, Kaylee Solano of Windham told the New Hampshire Union Leader that she was the woman abducted Monday night. Solano, a student at the University of New Hampshire-Manchester campus, said she attempted to file for a restraining order last week but it was denied.


“I am still very upset,” Solano said, declining to speak further about the incident on Tuesday.


After the reported kidnapping, officers eventually spotted Solano’s vehicle parked at the Motel 6 at 2 Progress Ave. in Nashua and determined she had checked in to a room there, according to Linehan.


Uniformed officers tried to contact the woman, but a man claiming to be armed with a handgun told police he was not going to release her, said Linehan. The man — eventually identified as Osherov — allegedly refused to let the woman exit the hotel room, police said.


“It was a hostage-type situation,” said Linehan.


Around midnight, the Nashua Police Department’s Special Reaction Team was activated, and additional officers responded to the hotel to assist. The Crisis Negotiation Team was also on site and attempted through telephone conversations to engage in discussions with Osherov throughout the early morning hours on Tuesday, said Linehan.


Nine hours after the standoff began, negotiations were progressing and Osherov informed police around 7:20 a.m. that he was going to let the woman exit the hotel. After he freed the victim, Osherov peacefully surrendered, stepped out of the hotel without incident and was taken into custody.


No one was injured in the incident, said Linehan.


“Any time we have a resolution like this where no one is injured, that is a positive,” he said.


According to Linehan, the alleged kidnapping may have taken place in Manchester, and police from the Manchester and Nashua police departments are continuing to investigate how and where the woman was abducted.


“It is obviously still in the very early stages of the investigation,” he said.


A majority of the hotel was evacuated at the height of the standoff, and several guests were moved to another building on the grounds, according to police. The entire south side of the hotel was evacuated Tuesday morning when police believed the standoff was nearing a resolution.


Osherov has been charged with one count of domestic violence kidnapping, a felony.


“Detectives from the Special Investigations Division are working closely with detectives from the Manchester Police Department on this investigation, which is ongoing, and additional charges are anticipated,” police said in a statement.


Capt. Mike Caron of the Windham Police Department said Tuesday that Solano, a Windham resident, has not been in touch with his department.


“We have had no contact with Kaylee,” said Caron. “I have no records of her calling here.”


However, Caron said Solano may have visited the 10th Circuit Court, Salem District Division, where she could have petitioned for an emergency restraining order. Still, he stressed that Solano did not contact his department, which would have referred her to the court system.


Osherov was being held on $500,000 cash-only bail on Tuesday and is scheduled to be arraigned this morning at the 9th Circuit Court, Nashua District Division.

Crime, law and justice Nashua Top Section Stories

More Headlines

Manchester man charged with texting sexual images