A record 67 bald eagles in Granite State logged in midwinter count
A pair of bald eagles sits perched in a tree near an office parking lot on Buttrick Road in Londonderry. (PHOTO COURTESY VINCENT J. BYRON)
An additional eight bald eagles were found just over the border in Maine and Vermont. Although they visit the Granite State, they aren’t part of the midwinter count.
The midwinter count does include Canadian bald eagles who come south for the winter.
The 2013 nesting count showed 29 active nests, which means at least one egg, said Marchand. “Twenty of those (nests) were successful.”
“Not all nests are successful,” said Marchand.
Nests are usually built high in white pines, but heavy winds and rainstorms sometimes cause problems. Both male and female incubate and protect the egg or eggs.
Bald eagles are 3 feet tall, with a 6- to 8-foot wing span.
Marchand said the population is recovering well.
“It’s still rapidly increasing,” he said, adding that there is plenty of habitat left to support a larger population.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Politics of choice: A word stripped of its meaning - 8
- Cataldo for Senate: A keeper for District 6 - 0
- What rising tide? Kuster vs. Kennedy - 20
- On Obamacare: Shaheen doesn't get it - 49
- No news is bad news: Hassan goes to CDC school - 9
- No right to know: Our silent superintendent - 1
- Boutin for Senate: Constituent service for District 16 - 5
- Sanborn for Senate: The obvious choice in District 9 - 2
- Secret arrests: Names contradict ICE narrative - 4
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Another View -- John H. Sununu: Voters, pick a governor who is serious about the Pledge - 1
- Team Obama: Faking right, voting left - 0
- Charles Arlinghaus: This government 'investment' is a bad idea - 0
- Manchester mayor asks aldermen to hold abandonded property owners accountable - 0
- Residents given Londonderry playing field priority - 0
- NH has 1,300 guardrail ends targeted in federal safety suit - 0
- Carignan promoted to deputy police chief in Nashua - 0
- Manchester Crimewatch: Meat cleaver has key role in threats, assault case - 0
- Mass. man charged with robbing Tobacco Junction store in Pelham - 0
Locked in a dead heat, Shaheen, Brown spar
NH's back-road rest areas fading away
Team Obama: Faking right, voting left
Keene riots a focus of gubernatorial debate
Preventing riots: What should Keene do?