Mar 5, 2014
Feb 26, 2014
Feb 19, 2014
Feb 6, 2014
Man receives year in jail for raping 15-year-old customer at Windham bakery
Matthew Hand, 20, was sentenced 12 months in the county jail in Rockingham County Superior Court after pleading guilty to a misdemeanor sexual assault charge.
Judge N. William Delker also gave Hand a suspended two-to-four year prison sentence on a felony count of felonious sexual assault.
Prosecutors agreed to drop a more serious charge of aggravated felonious sexual assault in exchange for Hand's plea and giving up his right to trial.
Hand will be required to obtain sex offender treatment and will remain on probation for two years. If he violates any terms of his probation, he could be returned to jail for up to seven days, according to Delker.
Prosecutors say that Hand forced himself on the girl while the two were at a Windham bakery on May 1.
The girl went to Baked On Pastries to pick up a pie. Hand brought her into an office and told her he wanted to have sex with her, according to police.
Prosecutors said that Hand grabbed the girl by the wrist, pushed her over a sink and forced the girl to have sex in a bathroom.
The girl repeatedly told Hand that she didn't want to have sex and to stop what he was doing.
Hand later told police that the sex was consensual, court papers say.
A grand jury had initially indicted Hand on charges of aggravated felonious sexual assault and felonious sexual assault. The new misdemeanor charge was filed by prosecutors on Wednesday.
Police said Hand was arrested at Windham High School in June 2012 for criminal threatening. He was arrested for allegedly threatening another student.
In January, he was charged with disorderly conduct in connection with an argument with a school administrator.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Londonderry coach found not guilty in girl's sex assault - 0
- Police: Convicted Antrim sex offender mentored child he molested - 1
- Raymond man charged with hitting friend with his vehicle - 0
- NH Supreme Court reject's Addison appeal to remove AG's prosecuting team - 5
- Manchester man convicted on drug, weapons counts - 1
- Jury considers fate of Londonderry man in sex assault trial - 0
- Bay State following in NH's footsteps with 'upskirting' law - 2
- Epping supermarket worker arrested after brutal break room attack on female coworker - 9
- Nashua woman arrested in connection with homeless man's hit-and-run death - 4
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NHIAA Tournament Roundup: Central breaks away from Exeter - 0
- College Hockey: Dartmouth drops tournament opener - 0
- FEMA OKs $8m for repairs in Lincoln, Lebanon - 0
- Official says Manchester lost out on $1.5m for cell tower court has now ordered built - 0
- John Habib's City Sports: Derryfield's 'Mouse' made his mark - 0
- Rondo leads Celtics past Nets - 0
- Hats off to O'Neill, Monarchs - 0
- NHIAA Boys' Basketball: Maughn, Memorial top Londonderry - 0
- NHIAA Boys' Basketball: Giampetruzzi leads Trinity into D-I semis - 0
Stacey Cole's Nature Talks: Turkey vultures not commonly seen in NH until fairly recently
FEMA OKs $8m for repairs in Lincoln, Lebanon
Obamacare's new trick: Only temporary relief