Home » News » Public Safety
Truck fire extinguished; third blaze in four days in Laconia
Fire Capt. Bob Landry said the fire, reported just after 4 a.m., caused about $10,000 in damage to the 20-foot box truck and its contents.
He said the truck was padlocked and parked in a storage area across the street from the hospital, waiting to be unloaded. Investigators are trying to determine if the fire, which started in one of the laundry bins, was the result of spontaneous combustion or the improper disposal of a cigarette.
It is the third fire in the city since about 2 a.m. Saturday when a car at 46 Academy St. was set ablaze and then someone set fire to some material on a porch at a 91 Highland St. residence, which was vacant.
Those two fires were 20 minutes and a quarter-mile apart and determined to be arson, Landry said. Damage was limited and no one was injured.
Last fall, there were more than a dozen suspicious fires in the city including a $2 million blaze at the Skate Escape, 161 Court St., a 60,000-square-foot building housing several other businesses; a fire at the abandoned Christmas Island Motel, which caused about $600,000 in damage, and two separate fires at the Pitman Freight Room, 94 New Salem St.
Investigators have yet to determine if any of the fires are linked.
No one has been charged in any of the incidents.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Weare police chief on leave amid domestic violence probe - 0
- Traffic backed up a mile in Hampton tractor-trailer accident - 0
- Citizen's Police Academy in Manchester set for Oct. 1 - 0
- Heating unit cause of blaze in Manchester - 0
- Mother of Bedford student hit by car says safety should come first on school grounds - 5
- Keene police officer on bicycle struck by car - 0
- Antidote carried by NH first responders a life-saver for heroin overdoses - 0
- In neglect cases, indigent parents may lose legal help - 2
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Pair accused in Hampstead home invasion also face witness tampering charges - 0
- Gunman hits Circle K convenience store in Durham - 0
- Suicide car bomber kills 3 foreign troops in Afghan capital; Taliban claims responsibility - 0
- City officials to review proposed 'spice' ban - 0
- Widow of chiropractor killed this summer says fatal shooting was no accident - 0
- Manchester's Delana Curtis is left out in the cold - 0
- Another View -- Sharon Day: The Democrats' claim to be the party for women is just not believable - 7
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Brady a realist - 0
- Burning rubber: And public dollars - 0
DWI license revocations
Mexican man pleads guilty in international conspiracy to traffic hundreds of pounds of cocaine
Another View -- Sharon Day: The Democrats' claim to be the party for women is just not believable
Strategery: A war by any other name
Freeh dumb: Favoritism in Vt.?
Seabrook mom pleads not guilty by reason of insanity to attempted murder of her two children