Surprised mother welcomes son home from Afghanistan
Tech. Sgt. Mike Tower greets his mom, Sally Deschenes, from Litchfield, while his sister Donna Brown, also from Litchfield, watches, at Cactus Jack's, on Thursday, in Manchester. (Thomas Roy/Union Leader)
But, after a tap on the shoulder from her daughter, Laurie Forrence: “Oh, my God! Oh, my God!” Deschenes, who is battling breast cancer, shouted as she saw her son, Air National Guard Tech. Sgt. Mike Tower of Weare, for the first time in months.
Forrence and Tower set up the encounter, which was a surprise for most of the family. She said Cactus Jack’s is her mother’s favorite restaurant and that they’d set up the surprise by telling the whole family that Tower would be arriving at the airport the next day.
Count among those surprised Tower’s daughter, Kayleigh, a sophomore at Keene State College, who shrieked upon seeing her dad for the first time since he left for a deployment to Afghanistan five months ago.
While the family cried out, Tower was treated to a standing ovation from most of the restaurant’s patrons.
READER COMMENTS: 4
- Former Manchester school chief Tom Brennan dies a year after he retired - 6
- Speedway, NH casino called a natural fit, track's GM says - 8
- Federal data shows which doctors reap Medicare millions - 3
- Privacy foremost at hearing on NH bill to restrict government spying, commercial use of drones - 18
- Six months later, Abigail's disappearance still a mystery - 1
- Retired judge reprimanded, told remarks were sexist - 5
- Judge issues no ruling on county attorney's suspension - 4
- Retired judge reprimanded for sexist remarks - 0
- Manchester officer cleared in domestic assault is subject of probe - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NH Legal Perspective -- Health care decision making: Pending legislation fills gap - 0
- GoShopNH offers workshop to NH artisans on selling their products online - 0
- Christopher Thompson's Closing the Deal: Be a student of your profession - 0
- NHIAA Boys' Lacrosse: Bedford proving Division I-worthy - 0
- NHIAA Baseball: Londonderry's Corey escapes seventh-inning jam in win - 0
- Pope presides at Vatican Mass leading Catholics into Easter - 0
- Top-ranked B's seek to tie up series - 0
- Bottoms up for Red Sox in win over Orioles - 0
- Struggling Fisher Cats defeated again - 0
Man electrocuted at Keene brush fire