Groundhog Breakfast features awards, donations
Without a shadow, the prediction is that spring will come early. However, if the small and furry animal does see its shadow, it is believed that winter will last another six weeks.
According to Mayor Donnalee Lozeau, Punxsutawney Phil has been wrong with his predictions five out of the last six years, meaning his accuracy is only about 16 percent.
Without the generous donations, families such as Kristen Hennessy's would struggle trying to find a place where their children can call home during the summer months when school is on break.
In the past few years, the annual groundhog breakfast has raised a combined $100,000 to send children to summer camp, and Friday's event was no exception.
"When we care for each other, we all get stronger," said Gov. Maggie Hassan, who also made a generous donation.
Two community sponsor awards were given to MI-BOX and Kathy and Bob Williams. The annual Angel Award was presented to John Farrer, a Hudson business owner who donated 30 bicycles toward the organization's Christmas Bike Brigade. Triangle Credit Union was honored with the annual bell ringer award, and Edward "Jody" Gage was recognized as the Salvation Army Citizen of the Year.
Gage is active in the Nashua community with the local Rotary Club, the Greater Nashua Chamber of Commerce and the Front Door Agency.
To improve the chance of seeing your comment posted here or published in the New Hampshire Union Leader:
- Identify yourself. Accounts using fake or incomplete names are suspended regardless of the quality of posts.
- Say something new, stay on topic, keep it short.
- Links to outside URLs are discouraged, if used they should be on topic.
- Avoid comments in bad taste, write well, avoid using all capital letters
- Don't cite facts about individuals or businesses without providing a means to verify the claim
- If you see an objectionable comment please click the "Report Abuse" button and be sure to tell us why.
Note: Comments are the opinion of the respective poster and not of the publisher.Be the first to comment.