Candia steps up for store owners after fire
"The fire closed the store, and our house is attached to the store and smoke damage completely ruined the house. We are in a trailer in the driveway of our store right now waiting for the insurance to come through," Marie Martel said.
"Our daughter has set up a fund for us, and people have been very, very generous. The outpouring from the community has been nice. We have had local people give us venison because they know Roy likes it. People have come by to cook meals. It has been overwhelming," Marie said.
"I can't tell you how many times I have left the store to go help someone in town who has broken down, or how many gas cans I lost to people coming in need of gas. I always told them to return them, but they never did," Roy said.
"The house is 200 years old, and there are code issues that have to be addressed," Marie said.
"I just think the General Store is a landmark here in the community," he said. "I frequented the store myself, and I enjoy their storytelling and their views of the community. And I meet residents in there. It brings back the days of the rustic small town environment. "
"They are great people, just down to earth nice people," McGillen said of the Martels.
McGillen's efforts have not gone unnoticed.
To help her parents get by until the insurance money comes in, the Martel's daughter Jeannette Chevere of Dedham, Mass., has set up a fund to support them on www.youcaring.com that can be accessed by typing in Candia General Store in the search bar.
The Hooksett Banner
100 William Loeb Drive
Manchester, NH 03109
Neighborhood News publications can be found at a newsstand near you here.
News, Obituaries, & Social Announcements
Henry Metz, Managing Editor
Email ads to email@example.com
Classified advertising: 603-669-1010
Display advertising: 603-206-7800 x264
Rate card | Ad Order | Credit application
Please use our online form at www.nh365.org
Arrested at 75, charged with blocking plow, Merrimack man says he was just shoveling his drive