Manchester school security focusing on fast communication
Students helped show off the new communications equipment to the visiting officials, including first responders.
Manchester, like towns and cities statewide, revisited school safety after the elementary school shootings in Newtown, Conn. The new phone-intercom project launched thanks to an estimated $500,000 allocated last year by the city, Gatsas said.
Through the bipartisan state budget passed last year, Hassan said there are two positions established in Department of Safety's Division of Homeland Security and Emergency Management to provide technical assistance and grants to schools around New Hampshire.
The last legislative session saw state leaders working to improve school security in other ways. Hassan noted she signed into law a bill that includes school-security design and integration as part of the approval process for school-building aid.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Nashua school members' letter prompts an apology - 0
- UNH Law named a top 100 law school in magazine’s rankings - 0
- Loeb School spring classes offer career-change chance - 0
- 'Mathletes' chosen to represent NH in national competition - 1
- Pembroke Academy wants to help at-risk students - 0
- From Russia, with love of numbers at Nashua school - 0
- Great Bay Community College 'boot camp' trains students in precision manufacturing - 0
- Cyber defense competition coming to University of New Hampshire - 0
- Dartmouth College mourns sudden death of student - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Sens. Shaheen, Ayotte slam latest push for online sales tax - 0
- Bedford girls basketball team spreads the scoring wealth - 0
- New Hampshire high school athletes on the run (and jumping) in NYC - 0
- Ian Clark's High School Hockey: Teams anxious to play - 0
- Manchester Mayor Gatsas: Vote tells me Hooksett is satisfied with Manchester schools - 0
- After Pinkerton rejection, what's next for Hooksett students? - 0
- Nashua aldermen approve pair of union contracts - 0
- Was a crime committed? Nashua police are not certain - 0
- Nashua must decide on parkway project's bridge aesthetics - 0
SCORE workshop offers social media tips
Minimum wages: Maximum spin
Hooksett votes down Pinkerton schools deal
Hooksett has five new school board members
A CIA bombshell: Feinstein and the Fourth