Home » News » Public Safety
Hampstead police station work behind schedule
“We had figured some amount was needed for contingencies in the initial warrant article to address things such as ledge removal, but the amount was more than we had planned for. All together the blasting exceeded our contingency by $175,000,” said Steve Londrigan, a member of the police station building committee.
“The weather hasn’t helped at all because of the cold and the snow. The weather has just been incredible,” Police Chief Joseph Beaudoin said.
The 7,200-square-foot station approved by voters last March will be built on 5 acres of town land on Veterans Way. The approval came after other station proposals were defeated at the polls on four other occasions since 2007. The building will replace the old 3,500-square-foot station on Emerson Avenue. Police have said the small outdated facility has several deficiencies, including a lack of security and holding cells.
In the meantime, the building committee is working with the contractor, Frank Chacoine Construction of Weare, to find a way to bring the costs back in line.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Abby says it's incredible to be home; mom tells TODAY daughter did not run away - 9
- Dozens of ill Keith Urban fans treated at concert near Boston - 0
- Five hikers rescued in separate incidents Saturday - 2
- Powerboat hits canoe on Winnipesaukee - 5
- Police search for driver in Hollis hit-and-run - 1
- Canoe, powerboat collide on Lake Winnipesaukee - 0
- Brothers escape being hit by circling boat - 1
- Cornish truck driver charged in fatal Merrimack crash - 3
- Truck flips on I-93 at Exit 4 on-ramp in Londonderry - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Distracted legislating: Our baseless cellphone ban - 0
- Another View -- Betsy McCaughey: Our free lunch President - 0
- Another View -- Karlyn Borysenko: Workplace bullying is a serious problem, governor - 0
- Workplace abuse: Governor gets one right - 0
- Red Sox pull Lester from Wednesday start amid trade rumors - 0
- Accused Abby kidnapper Kibby had past minor brushes with police - 0
- Police say youths at New Boston underage drinking party resisted arrest - 0
- Man hospitalized following Rochester shooting; suspect still at large - 0
- Muskrats, Swamp Bats split twinbill - 0
Win tickets to see ZZ Top
Win tickets to see the Pretty Reckless
Market Basket community waits and watches
Abby's alleged kidnapper held on $1M bail
Win tickets to see Ziggy Marley
Dover man sought in Rochester shooting
Supporters are now 'Abby Strong'
Canobie Lake Park shuts down popular ride