All Sections
Welcome guest, you have 3 views left.  Register| Sign In

Home | Public Safety

7-year-old boy saves grandmother from Hudson fire

Union Leader Correspondent

January 31. 2014 8:09PM
A home at 11 Mobile Drive in Hudson is engulfed in flames shortly after daybreak Friday. Firefighters were called to the scene shortly before 7 a.m. (HUDSON FIRE DEPARTMENT)

HUDSON — A seven-year-old boy is being praised for his actions when he helped his elderly grandmother out of a burning mobile home that was destroyed in an early morning fire at Kimball Hill Estates.

A number of neighbors alerted firefighters to the fire just before 7 a.m. on Friday.

When firefighters arrived at 13 Mobile Drive, they found flames coming from the trailer home, and an alarm for a working fire was struck, bringing additional firefighters and tanker trucks to the scene, said Fire Captain David Morin.

"At the time of the blaze, two occupants were in the home," said Morin. "Seven-year-old Paul Carter, Jr. was awakened, saw fire in the kitchen, and through the heavy heat and smoke removed his elderly grandmother from the home to safety."

Deputy Fire Chief John O'Brien noted that the fire spread quickly through the mobile home and was minutes away from being a killer.

He said Carter was a hero getting out safely and helping his grandmother.

"They were just barely able to escape," said O'Brien.

One family dog died in the fire, while two others were able to escape.

Morin said the bulk of the fire was knocked down within 20 minutes of crews arriving on the scene. He added that firefighters were able to successfully stop the fire from spreading to the rear of the home and neighboring trailers.

"The fire started when one of the family's dogs jumped up on the stove and accidentally turned on a burner," stated Morin. The preliminary loss from the fire was estimated at $50,000.

O'Brien said the fire points out the need for every home to have smoke detectors, as investigators said there were none inside the home.

Mutual aid from Nashua, Windham, Pelham, and the Salvation Army helped out and the scene, and no civilian or firefighter injuries were reported, according to Morin.

Three adults and two children were displaced.

Fires NH People Hudson Top Section Stories

More Headlines