Former UNH and NHL star praises pond hockey tournament
Granite Staters may remember him as a star at the University of New Hampshire, where as a senior he scored 22 goals and had 30 assists in the 1978-79 season. He is also remembered as a Boston Bruin - particularly for his 21 goals and 18 assists as a forward in 1982-83 - or for his time as a Pittsburgh Penguin.
But on Saturday, Bruce Crowder was among more than 1,400 amateur hockey players taking part in the fifth annual New England Pond Hockey Classic on Meredith Bay. There, 225 teams met on 22 rinks to play the game, as he put it, "like it's supposed to be played."
"Just look around out here today. All you see are friends, families, people hugging," said Crowder, whose son Scott founded the tournament. "This is the best way to play the game. Everybody has a blast. It's just fun."
"No, not at all. When we grew up, there was no Nintendo or nothing. We had two channels on the TV ... that was mom just kicking us out of the house (to play), and we all wanted to be pros," he said.
Crowder said the joy of playing in the Pond Hockey Classic is that, in conventional hockey terms, "you're not shooting for the upper corner (of the net), and there's no (goalie's) water bottle up there."
"Really," Crowder said, "this is a novelty."
Crowder's proud of his son's achievement in organizing and running the tournament. But mostly, "I just love coming here to play with these people," he said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Senior News: Donation made to help Families First expand dental care for seniors - 0
- Thousands gather for Marlborough's annual town-wide celebration - 0
- Kids, seniors complete in inaugural DeMar races in Keene over weekend - 0
- Hudson girl and her family continue race against time - 0
- Free Outdoor Adventure Talk – Hunting Dominant Bucks - 0
- MOTÖRHEAD Invites Fans to Make Official "Killed By Death" Video - 0
- EXODUS: Guitar World Premieres Third Bonus DVD Trailer - 0
- Pats Peak Ski Team enrollment has begun for the 2014/15 season - 0
- STS9 To Kick Off 'Autumn Tour 2014' October 9 in Indianapolis and Ring In 2015 With Three Shows in Denver - 0
Fall hikers throughout NH put on notice
Win tickets to see Demi Lovato
Win tickets to see the John Butler Trio
Win tickets to see Kip Moore
Racism in Lincoln? Looks more like ignorance