Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notebook: Glad to get emails; well, one of 'em, anyway
"It is always disappointing to find obvious spelling or grammatical mistakes in newspapers. So I call your attention to the misspelling and/or misuse of the word 'trusty' in this article. Trusty is an adjective while the proper word/spelling that should be used here is the noun 'trustee.'"
No, dear reader, thank you. It happens that our use of "trusty" as a noun was correct in the story referenced. But it is such an obscure use that we should at least put the word in quotes or, when we can, explain it.
So reads my trusty dictionary. The story was about a not-so-trustworthy "trusty" who was left alone at the East Kingston police department and allegedly stole drugs.
A guy I know and his wife, in order to improve their healthy lifestyle, decide to go and buy bicycles. The wife picks a sedate-looking three speed and takes it on a test spin. Behind the bike shop is a small parking lot and a kids' park with a small circular fountain/wading pool. The wife returns satisfied with the bike.
Things start out well, he is shifting gears and gaining speed and thinking smugly, "Hey, it's like riding a bike."
Now airborne, he stops briefly on the concrete rim before entering the fountain proper and totally submerging in three feet of water.
His second thought is in the form of a question: "Why is the water I am standing in turning pink?"
Back home, the couple decides to reevaluate the "let's buy a bike and get healthy" decision; and hubby has his third epiphany of the day — he will realize what boredom really feels like as he will not be playing golf for at least 3 weeks.
He will spend his days praying and searching YouTube.
Thanks for the emails.
Write to Joe McQuaid at Publisher@UnionLeader.com or on Twitter at @Deucecrew
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Syracuse, Iowa crowned top party schools - 0
- Parking fines cause disputes, raise revenues - 1
- Jon Cavaiani dies at 70; desperate stand in '71 led to Medal of Honor - 0
- Meriam Ibrahim, family welcomed as long journey ends in Manchester - 2
- Moose International files suit to claim Claremont lodge - 0
- NH man's wife flies to Rome, meets Pope Francis after giving birth on death row in Sudan - 2
- Manchester postpones Fourth of July celebration - 0
- Reports say Sudanese Christian woman released; Manchester relative hopeful - 0
- 'Cadillac' health tax costs draw big worry - 13
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Police mum on reported shooting in Manchester - 0
- Manchester men charged with drive-by shooting in Nashua - 0
- Multiple reports say deal reached for Arthur T. to buy Market Basket - 0
- Fisher Cats get behind early, fall to Senators - 0
- Sox downed on pinch-hit homer - 0
- Sister of accused Boston marathon bombers arrested after bomb threat - 0
- Authorities mum about reports of shooting in Manchester - 0
- Bruins agree to long-term agreement with Providence - 0
- Stewart probe goes on - 0
Reports: Market Basket doomsday plan would shutter 61 of 71 stores if deal not struck soon
GOP for legal pot? Hemignway's high help
Ohio's Rob Portman: GOP can win back Senate