Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notebook: Glad to get emails; well, one of 'em, anyway
"It is always disappointing to find obvious spelling or grammatical mistakes in newspapers. So I call your attention to the misspelling and/or misuse of the word 'trusty' in this article. Trusty is an adjective while the proper word/spelling that should be used here is the noun 'trustee.'"
No, dear reader, thank you. It happens that our use of "trusty" as a noun was correct in the story referenced. But it is such an obscure use that we should at least put the word in quotes or, when we can, explain it.
So reads my trusty dictionary. The story was about a not-so-trustworthy "trusty" who was left alone at the East Kingston police department and allegedly stole drugs.
A guy I know and his wife, in order to improve their healthy lifestyle, decide to go and buy bicycles. The wife picks a sedate-looking three speed and takes it on a test spin. Behind the bike shop is a small parking lot and a kids' park with a small circular fountain/wading pool. The wife returns satisfied with the bike.
Things start out well, he is shifting gears and gaining speed and thinking smugly, "Hey, it's like riding a bike."
Now airborne, he stops briefly on the concrete rim before entering the fountain proper and totally submerging in three feet of water.
His second thought is in the form of a question: "Why is the water I am standing in turning pink?"
Back home, the couple decides to reevaluate the "let's buy a bike and get healthy" decision; and hubby has his third epiphany of the day — he will realize what boredom really feels like as he will not be playing golf for at least 3 weeks.
He will spend his days praying and searching YouTube.
Thanks for the emails.
Write to Joe McQuaid at Publisher@UnionLeader.com or on Twitter at @Deucecrew
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Not every human gets elected, but that chicken certainly pecked away at the legal system - 0
- Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notes: Voting is your stamp on the future - 2
- New faces, proven veterans will assure Union Leader's solid hold on the news - 0
- Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notebook: A tough hike to see AMC 'croo,' but finding 'Quos' made the day - 0
- Publisher's Notebook: The candidate who can spell the name of every 80's sports car wins - 4
- Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notebook: A humbling — and inspiring — event - 0
- Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notebook: The grandson also rises - 1
- Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notes: My favorite things from one week this summer - 0
- Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notes: Sometimes, we have too much on our plates - 0
READER COMMENTS: 2
- Review of West High intruder case to be behind closed doors - 1
- Another View -- Daniel Barrick: Manchester's schools face some serious challenges - 0
- Racism in Lincoln? Looks more like ignorance - 0
- Representing whom? Jeanne Shaheen, leftist icon - 1
- Chiefly, Pats are horrible in Monday night blowout in K.C. - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Double-overtime goal sends Goffstown past John Stark in boys' soccer - 0
- UNH gridders jump one spot in national polls - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Sox Beat: Offseason needs aplenty - 0
- NHIAA Field Hockey: Merrill's hat trick lifts Winnacunnet - 0
Dredging planned for Milford's Osgood Pond
Racism in Lincoln? Looks more like ignorance
Hillary Clinton to join Shaheen fundraiser