Manchester man faces charges he assaulted his girlfriend
February 02. 2014 9:24PM
MANCHESTER — Michael Manning, 40, of 50 Sterling Ave., was arraigned Friday in Circuit Court-Manchester District Division on felony second-degree assault and misdemeanor simple assault charges.
Manning is accused of grabbing his girlfriend by the hair and pulling her to the ground, then getting on top of her and attempting to strangle her. The woman reported her breathing was impaired by Manning’s actions.
Because no plea can be entered to a felony charge in Circuit Court, a probable cause hearing on the felony was set for Feb. 13. Trial on the misdemeanor was scheduled for March 6.
Bail is $7,500 cash/surety, with conditions that include no contact with the woman and not returning to the Sterling Avenue address.
Felony drug charge
Estella Cruz, 24, of 1470 Elm St., could enter no plea Friday in Circuit Court-Manchester District Division to a felony drug charge that alleges she had 200 Oxycodone pills in her possession Thursday.
Defense attorney Bruce Kenna requested personal recognizance bail for Cruz, saying she works in food service at La Quinta Inn and Suites, is studying medical billing and has two children, ages 6 and 2 years. He said she has lived at the Elm Street address for eight years and is not a flight risk.
A New Hampshire State Police prosecutor said a bail commissioner had set $25,000 cash/surety bail. Judge William Lyons set bail at $10,000 cash/surety and a probable cause hearing on the felony charge for Feb. 10.
Bail set on assault charge
Defense attorney William Schultz on Friday asked Circuit Court-Manchester District Division Judge William Lyons to set bail at $1,000 cash/surety for his client, Corey Guay, 24. Prosecutor Andrea Lamy had withdrawn a bail revocation motion filed after Guay was arrested for assault while out on bail.
Lamy requested $30,000 cash/surety bail for Guay, whose assault charge for pushing the alleged victim was elevated to a felony because Guay was previously convicted of violation of a protective order.
Schultz said the proposed $30,000 bail is: “Clearly, clearly unreasonable.” Schultz said the alleged victim has a habit of making charges and then calling the public defender’s office and renouncing them “even before we received the file.” As for the latest charge, Schultz said: “The incident here is suspect.”
Lyons set bail at $5,000 cash/surety, with conditions echoing earlier bail conditions of no contact with the alleged victim and not going to the 467 Beech St. address.
Says he was invited
Francis Bemis, 52, pleaded innocent Friday in Circuit Court-Manchester District Division to a misdemeanor charge of stalking that alleges he was with his wife in her apartment at 53 Pennacook St., in violation of bail conditions on assault and criminal mischief charges.
Bemis said: “My wife called me.” He said she invited him to come to the apartment. He also said he called the police department and asked if there was a restraining order against him and was told there was no order.
Because he’s accused of violating bail conditions barring contact with his wife and barring him from her residence, police prosecutors filed a motion to revoke Bemis’ bail and have him held until his March 5 trial. A hearing on the motion was set for Monday morning.
Police: false name given
Police stopped a driver on Thursday after they said they saw a “hand to hand” drug transaction from the car and then saw the driver commit a motor vehicle infraction in the area of Barry Avenue and Spruce Street.
Police said William Rowell, 38, of 378 Route 4, Danbury, initially identified himself as his brother, Russell. That prompted a charge of disobeying a police officer.
He was subsequently charged with driving after suspension for driving while intoxicated and possession of a controlled drug (marijuana). Police said there was also an electronic bench warrant from Concord for failing to appear on a false report charge.
Rowell pleaded innocent to the Manchester misdemeanors and trial was set for March 11. Bail was set at $1,000 cash/surety, with conditions that include not driving until his license is restored.
He was given a notice to appear in Concord Feb. 3 and a police prosecutor said he is also wanted by Boscawen Police.