Home » News » Politics » Town Meetings
Lincoln voters to decide on rebuilding bridge, levee
Less certain, however, is what will happen to a more than 50-year-old levee located a short distance away, near the center of town. That levee, Burbank said, was also damaged by Tropical Storm Irene and by Superstorm Sandy.
The selectmen have scheduled a public hearing on the funding request for 6 p.m. Thursday. Voters will ultimately decide the matter at Town Meeting on March 11.
The Army Corps of Engineers made the levee "inactive" in 2007, Burbank said. But for many years earlier, much development — some $10 million worth, according to the town manager —has taken place behind it. To protect that development, which generates tax revenue and includes several condominium communities, residences and part of a hotel, Burbank said the municipality would need to restore the levee to its original, 1960 standards.
Some residents are opposed to spending taxpayer dollars to protect and improve the value of private property, while still other residents are questioning whether the rehabilitated levee would perform as hoped, he said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- New London voters pass municipal budget - 0
- Peterborough voters say no to cluster housing, yes to village zone - 0
- Newport voters say yes to police and DPW raises - 0
- Hooksett voters OK budget, police pact - 0
- Voters reject propane-only heating plan at Lafayette Regional School - 0
- Zoning measures against sprawl on Peterborough Town Meeting ballot - 0
- Town engineer, budget increase on Hooksett ballot - 0
- New London residents to vote on $1.17 million budget - 0
- Sanbornton to vote on cruisers, voting date - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Accused Abby kidnapper Kibby had past minor brushes with police - 0
- Police say youths at New Boston underage drinking party resisted arrest - 0
- Man hospitalized following Rochester shooting; suspect still at large - 0
- Muskrats, Swamp Bats split twinbill - 0
- Jays' Stroman stymies Red Sox - 0
- Police seeking help to identify alleged credit card thieves - 0
- Manchester Crimewatch: Man accused of new crimes while out on bail faces hearing - 0
- NH medical board suspends Manchester doctor's license - 0
- Fisher Cats lose to B-Mets in ninth - 0
Voting in NH: Not just for NH residents
Gorham man arrested for kidnapping Abigail
Abby's alleged kidnapper held on $1M bail