Dec 4, 2014
Oct 30, 2014
Oct 2, 2014
Sep 25, 2014
Judge denies bail reduction for Nashua man accused of sexual assault
NASHUA — A local judge has refused to reduce bail for a city man accused of sexually assaulting a 6-year-old girl.
Michael Woodbury, 39, with no fixed address, is facing a charge of aggravated felonious sexual assault and a charge of felonious sexual assault for the incident.
Police said Woodbury had inappropriate sexual contact with the child during an overnight visit on Dec. 18, 2013.
On Tuesday, Woodbury was in the 9th Circuit Court, Nashua District Division, for a probable cause hearing on the two charges.
His defense attorney, Kristin Weberge, maintains that the allegations against her client are false, and that Woodbury intends to challenge the charges.
“There is no evidence this was for the purpose of sexual arousal or gratification,” Weberge told Judge Michael Ryan.
Ryan stressed that there does not have to be actual proof of sexual arousal. He found probable cause for both charges, which will now go before a Hillsborough County Superior Court grand jury for possible indictments.
Weberge requested that Woodbury’s bail of $30,000 cash only be reduced to $5,000 cash or surety. Although Woodbury does have a criminal record, Weberge maintained that those arrests were related to thefts and were not violent offenses.
“We feel that the allegations are serious in nature,” argued Nicole Clay, prosecutor for the Nashua Police Department. She highlighted several of Woodbury’s previous arrests in 1993 and 1995 involving three burglaries and a prior escape charge.
Ryan denied the request to lower Woodbury’s bail.
Woodbury’s fiancee took the stand during Tuesday’s court hearing, contending that she has heard from another person that the victim had previously made false reports of abuse. Clay argued that the fiancee’s testimony was hearsay.
If convicted, Woodbury could face up to 20 years in prison for the felony charge, according to police.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Maine police search car belonging to husband of Londonderry shooting victim - 0
- Man arrested after chase, threatening to shoot police in Bow - 0
- Good Samaritan pins Manchester purse snatcher - 0
- Police look for Laconia sub shop robber - 0
- Claremont man indicted on two charges of arson - 0
- Police hunt pair they believe attacked couple at Rochester motel - 0
- Phone evidence likely allowed in Hampstead home invasion trial - 0
- Grand jury indicts one of three men accused in murder of Madbury teen - 0
- Piano teacher wants statement tossed before sex assault trial - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Homeless man who saved woman from river: 'I don't consider myself a hero' - 9
- High School Basketball: Rivalries renewed in QCIBT - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Will they get everything on their list? - 0
- Tuohy brothers add new restaurant in familiar spot - 0
- New Horizons volunteers deliver groceries and good cheer, making Christmas special - 0
- Charles Arlinghaus: The fiscal mismanagement in Washington is a choice - 25
- 'Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus' - 0
Londonderry schools placed on lockdown after soldier's unplanned visit to high school causes alarm
Police say woman tried to steal 15 iPads
- Whom do you think bears the brunt of the blame for the mayhem this weekend in Keene?
- KSC students
- KSC administration
- Visitors from out of town
- A combination of any/all of the above
- Total Votes: 2483