Aug 28, 2014
Aug 21, 2014
Aug 14, 2014
Jul 24, 2014
Cell phones are target of one-ring scam
The Better Business Bureau says customers are lured in by a call that disconnects after only one ring. Phone customers concerned they missed something return the call and are automatically routed to the adult chat line or another premium service located outside the country.
The practice is known as "cramming."
Stephanie Vinge, a spokeswoman for Sprint, said the best way to avoid cramming scams is not to return calls to unknown numbers. Sprint also offers its customers online tips on preventing fraudulent billing and cram calls.
The Better Business Bureau warning says the calls typically originate from outside the United States. The overseas area codes come up on caller ID include the Dominican Republic (809), Jamaica (876), British Virgin Islands (284) and Grenada (473).
"The earlier you document the fraud, the better your chances of having some or all of the charges removed," the Better Business Bureau said in a news release.
READER COMMENTS: 3
- NH killer in 1991 Smart trial seeks time with wife - 9
- Newport shooting victim in stable but critical condition - 0
- Nashua arrests 9 on drug warrants - 0
- Police: Nashua man in car targeted by gunfire was felon with gun - 1
- Man shot at in Nashua drive-by charged with unrelated possession of stolen gun - 0
- NH Supreme Court rules 4 teen killers entitled to sentencing hearings - 6
- Hampton woman who fatally struck pedestrian wants blood test thrown out of court - 1
- Man seeks to upend conviction in Deerfield home invasion case - 0
- Police say North Hampton man distributed child sex abuse images - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Laconia accident results in minor injuries for motorcyclist - 0
- Christopher Thompson's Closing the Deal: Time for Market Basket to get back to business - 0
- Playing for a purpose Field Hockey Jamboree at Manchester Memorial - 0
- Franklin Pierce's Kirsh to retire as AD - 0
- UNH Wildcat gridders can't stop Toledo, 54-20 - 0
- UNH Wildcats volleyball looking forward to good season - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Pats' cuts hold few surprises - 0
- New-look Boston Red Sox taking test run - 0
- NH Fisher Cats bats silenced in Conn., in 3-1 loss - 0
Mount Washington Auto Road to host largest gathering of alternative-energy based vehicles in North America
Amnesty? Garcia is against it
- Mass. Supreme Judicial Court has found upskirt photos taken on a subway aren't illegal. Should such voyeurism be a crime?
- Total Votes: 917