Sep 18, 2014
Sep 4, 2014
Aug 28, 2014
Aug 21, 2014
Cell phones are target of one-ring scam
The Better Business Bureau says customers are lured in by a call that disconnects after only one ring. Phone customers concerned they missed something return the call and are automatically routed to the adult chat line or another premium service located outside the country.
The practice is known as "cramming."
Stephanie Vinge, a spokeswoman for Sprint, said the best way to avoid cramming scams is not to return calls to unknown numbers. Sprint also offers its customers online tips on preventing fraudulent billing and cram calls.
The Better Business Bureau warning says the calls typically originate from outside the United States. The overseas area codes come up on caller ID include the Dominican Republic (809), Jamaica (876), British Virgin Islands (284) and Grenada (473).
"The earlier you document the fraud, the better your chances of having some or all of the charges removed," the Better Business Bureau said in a news release.
READER COMMENTS: 10
- Dalton man sentenced for assaulting inmate - 0
- Hampstead man accused of sex assaults on girl - 0
- Police say man kills daughter, 6 grandchildren in Fla. murder-suicide - 1
- 2 men arrested in Manchester SWAT raid, drug bust - 4
- 2 women sentenced in Home Depot scam - 0
- Man accused of stabbing man in Concord's White Park - 0
- Friends, co-workers mourn loss of Amherst mother and son - 4
- Vermont father, two sons facing charges for Canobie Lake Park scuffle - 2
- Son used AK-47 to kill mother, then himself in Amherst home - 37
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Scots spurn independence, vote to stay in the United Kingdom - 0
- Roger Brown's First and 10: Answers forthcoming - 0
- NHMS chief Gappens is on board with the Chase changes - 0
- Another View -- Ben Rose: How NH's John Stark helped defeat the British at Saratoga - 0
- Celebrating Claremont: A 250th birthday party - 0
- Trashed lunches: Brownies, broccoli and bucks - 6
- Hampstead's Suess ready for Whelen Modified race - 0
- College Football: Big Green kick off season vs. Cent. Connecticut - 0
- Londonderry Rotary to host forum next week - 0
Supporters eager for Hillary's return to NH
Manchester family heartbroken after finding lost kitten was adopted from shelter, family refuses to return it
- Total Votes: 917