Aug 21, 2014
Aug 14, 2014
Jul 24, 2014
Jul 16, 2014
Cell phones are target of one-ring scam
The Better Business Bureau says customers are lured in by a call that disconnects after only one ring. Phone customers concerned they missed something return the call and are automatically routed to the adult chat line or another premium service located outside the country.
The practice is known as "cramming."
Stephanie Vinge, a spokeswoman for Sprint, said the best way to avoid cramming scams is not to return calls to unknown numbers. Sprint also offers its customers online tips on preventing fraudulent billing and cram calls.
The Better Business Bureau warning says the calls typically originate from outside the United States. The overseas area codes come up on caller ID include the Dominican Republic (809), Jamaica (876), British Virgin Islands (284) and Grenada (473).
"The earlier you document the fraud, the better your chances of having some or all of the charges removed," the Better Business Bureau said in a news release.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Authorities mum about reports of shooting in Manchester - 0
- Police say woman broke into Hollis home and took pictures - 0
- Addiction treatment doctor gets restricted license - 0
- Newmarket man charged with sex assault of 12-year-old girl - 0
- Wife charged with stabbing husband during argument - 0
- Imprisoned pair could add to their already lengthy sentences if found guilty of assault - 0
- Judge nixes house arrest for man convicted in Ponzi scheme - 0
- Raymond man faces possession of child porn charges - 0
- Man failed to note conviction on gun permit - 0
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Police mum on reported shooting in Manchester - 0
- Multiple reports say deal reached for Arthur T. to buy Market Basket - 0
- Fisher Cats get behind early, fall to Senators - 0
- Sox downed on pinch-hit homer - 0
- Sister of accused Boston marathon bombers arrested after bomb threat - 0
- Bruins agree to long-term agreement with Providence - 0
- Stewart probe goes on - 0
- Sunapee officials say they don't plan to build housing - 0
- Nursing home chaplain launches ministry - 0
Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you
Reports: Market Basket doomsday plan would shutter 61 of 71 stores if deal not struck soon
GOP for legal pot? Hemignway's high help
- Mass. Supreme Judicial Court has found upskirt photos taken on a subway aren't illegal. Should such voyeurism be a crime?
- Total Votes: 917