Home » News » Public Safety
Remains found near Cranmore confirmed as those of missing North Conway man
CONWAY - Officials confirmed the human remains discovered last fall while searching for a missing Conway teenager are those of John Sweeney of North Conway, who disappeared in the summer of 2006.
DNA test results two weeks ago positively identified the remains, Conway Police Lt. Christopher Perley said Tuesday.
Sweeney was 52 years old when he disappeared. He was free on bail after being charged with aggravated driving while intoxicated nine days earlier. Sweeney had been upset that he was involved in a collision that left a motorcyclist injured, Perley said.
Sweeney left a note suggesting he might considering doing harm to himself and left without his diabetes medications, which he needed to survive, Perley said.
Conway police and fire and conservation officers extensively searched the Whittaker Woods area of Cranmore Mountain in northern North Conway without locating Sweeney.
Search crews looking for missing Conway teen Abigail Conway last October came upon the remains south of Whittaker Woods at the base of Cranmore Mountain Resort, Perley said.
“We’re unsure if the remains were always there or if some flooding may have moved them there,” Perley said.
There is no indication of foul play.
Hernandez, 15, remains missing, and the investigation into her disappearance remains active.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Victim identified in fatal Pelham motorcycle accident - 0
- Man killed in Pelham motorcycle accident identified as local man, 24 - 0
- Manchester man seriously injured after driving into oncoming traffic - 0
- Derry police continue to look for missing gun left in courthouse bathroom - 0
- Backyard boulder kills Raymond homeowner - 2
- Merrimack police find car sticking into road, charge man - 0
- Police say impairment and speed not factors in fatal crash in Conway - 0
- Manchester man sustains life-threatening injuries in Bedford crash - 0
- Barrington man, 41, dies in cycle crash - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NHIAA Boys' Soccer Preview: Talent to boot - 0
- Last call at home for Fisher Cats tonight - 0
- Jessica Goldman was on the move - 0
- Band camp gets Memorial musicians in rhythm a week early - 0
- Drew Cline: Small sleights of hand in Republican primaries around NH - 0
- Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you - 0
- Portman's good point: A leadership deficit all around - 0
- Scott and Genevieve Kelley - 0
- Market Basket deal reached; Arthur T. Demoulas to return - 1
Reports: Market Basket doomsday plan would shutter 61 of 71 stores if deal not struck soon
GOP for legal pot? Hemignway's high help
Ohio's Rob Portman: GOP can win back Senate