Jonah Goldberg: Wendy Davis and abortion's inconvenient truths
Working on that theory, The Weekly Standard's John McCormack caught up with Davis last August to ask her a few questions.
Davis answered with a non-answer: "You know, the Supreme Court of course has answered this decision, in terms of what our protections are." Blah blah blah.
Perhaps all of the rage abortion extremists aim at their opponents is cover for a deep insecurity — maybe psychological, definitely political — about the reality of what they are defending. Sen Barbara Boxer, D-Calif., once said that life begins "when you bring your baby home" from the hospital. That is not very far from Wendy Davis' position. But she doesn't want to say that — certainly not in Texas! Better to change the subject to the evils of her opponents and — hey — have you seen my sneakers?
Jonah Goldberg is a fellow at the American Enterprise Institute and editor-at-large of National Review Online. You can write to him by email at firstname.lastname@example.org, or via Twitter @JonahNRO.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Ayotte says medical device tax a crusher - 22
- Aetna expects to lose money on Obamacare exchanges despite recent pickup in business - 2
- Feds to look at Obamacare networks after Shea-Porter request - 27
- Shea-Porter tells Obama 'some people' should resign over flawed ACA roll-out - 18
- Congressional Budget Office says Obamacare will cost nation 2M jobs - 17
- Congressional Budget Office estimates Obamacare will cost nation 2.3M jobs - 88
- Youth participation low in ACA signups - 11
- Lawsuit targets Congress' health subsidy - 2
- Obama administration changes rules to allow an extra day to sign up for health care - 16
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NHIAA Hockey Roundup: John Stark-Hopkinton eliminates Portsmouth - 0
- Livingston scores twice as Monarchs top Providence - 0
- NHIAA Basketball: Bedford girls top Trinity to advance - 0
- Ham radio introduction and class - 0
- NHIAA Hockey: Bedford rolls past Lebanon, into D-II semis - 0
- NHIAA Hockey: Sprague nets hat trick to lead Central past Trinity - 0
- Mass. ER staffers to describe day of Boston Marathon bombings - 0
- College Roundup: UNH men ousted from hoop tourney - 0
- NHIAA Girls' Basketball: Campbell tops Fall Mountain for second D-III championship - 0
Roger Simon: How would Hillary handle Putin?
Charles Krauthammer: The wages of weakness
George Will: The face of IRS behavior