Manchester Crimewatch: Bail set for man higher than prosecutor requests
February 05. 2014 9:27PM
MANCHESTER - Tony Rosas talked himself into a higher bail than a police prosecutor had requested Wednesday morning in Circuit Court-Manchester District Division.
When he was arraigned in Circuit Court Tuesday on a felony charge of simple assault, for allegedly assaulting his girlfriend after a custody hearing regarding their infant son, Rosas told a judge that he didn't assault her. A police prosecutor explained the assault charge was brought as a felony because Rosas has been convicted of violation of a protective order.
In seeking a lower bail than the $1,500 cash/surety proposed by the police prosecutor Tuesday, Rosas, 34, of 253 Calef Road, said he was the victim.
“I left the (family) courtroom for my own safety,” Rosas told Judge William Lyons. He said after the custody hearing, at which he was granted weekends, the woman tried to run him down with her car. Lyons set bail Tuesday at $1,000 cash/surety, with a probable cause hearing on the felony set for Feb. 13.
Rosas was back in Circuit Court Wednesday, on a contempt of court charge filed by the police prosecutor because Rosas had been out on bail when he allegedly assaulted his girlfriend.
Police prosecutor Sgt. Stephen Reardon Wednesday requested $1,000 cash/surety bail on the contempt charge, with conditions barring contact with the alleged victim.
Rosas again protested the proposed bail, telling Judge John Coughlin: “I don’t think it’s fair.”
Rosas appeared to have had a change of heart regarding his alleged victim. He told Coughlin that he and the alleged victim are a couple.
“We have our ups and downs,” he said.
“She’s my fiancee. We have a child together.” he said, adding that they are supposed to get married on Valentine’s Day.
Coughlin had apparently heard enough. He said he had serious concerns about whether Rosas can abide by the bail conditions.
“I’m gonna modify it to $10,000 cash-only,” said Coughlin, with conditions barring contact with the alleged victim.
The contempt charge will be addressed at the probable cause hearing Feb. 13.
Facing theft and forgery charges
A city man was arraigned Wednesday in Circuit Court-Manchester District Division on felony forgery and theft by unauthorized taking charges stemming from a stolen check scheme.
Court documents show 10 checks were reported stolen from Smith Pump in Hooksett, forged and cashed. The total amount of the stolen checks was in excess of $33,000.
Jeff Jolley, 37, of 332 Concord St., could enter no plea to the felony charges that allege he forged and cashed a $2,498.44 check at Centrix Bank Aug. 26, 2013.
A police prosecutor sought $2,000 cash/surety bail for Jolley, saying there is a 72-hour probation hold on Jolley, who has past convictions for reckless conduct, assault, habitual offender and resisting arrest.
Jolley told Judge John Coughlin he’s now clean and sober. “I have been doing well,” said Jolley, who added that he has a sick girlfriend at home.
Bail conditions include signing a waiver of extradition and bar contact with Smith Pump and a named person at the company. A probable cause hearing was set for Feb. 19.
Another man, Joseph Emiro, 29, of Concord, was arraigned Monday in Circuit Court on theft and forgery charges connected to the stolen check scheme.
Accused of hitting a sign, driving away
Bail was set at $1,000 personal recognizance Wednesday in Circuit Court-Manchester District Division for an Epping man charged with conduct after an accident and Driving While Intoxicated.
A police prosecutor asked that Todd Bowers, 45, of 109 Main St., return to the Manchester Police Department to complete the booking process before he was released. Judge John Coughlin included that condition and added one barring any consumption of alcohol.
Bowers is accused of hitting a sign on Lowell Street and starting to drive away before being stopped by police.
Trial was set for March 6.
A Hillsborough man was arraigned Wednesday in Circuit Court-Manchester District Division on a charge of circumventing the use of a required alcohol ignition interlock device.
Paul J. Sheils, 50, of 51 Red Fox Crossing, is accused of driving a vehicle at Candia and Proctor roads Jan. 15 that was not equipped with the ignition interlock device required as part of a DWI sentence.
Bail was continued at $1,000 personal recognizance for Sheils, whose criminal record includes convictions for simple assault, disorderly conduct, drug possession, criminal mischief and Driving While Intoxicated. Trial was set for March 5.