Dec 4, 2014
Oct 30, 2014
Oct 2, 2014
Sep 25, 2014
Prosecutors urge charge be upheld against Danville’s police chief
Assistant Rockingham County Attorney Terri Harrington last week filed an objection to a recent motion by Parsons’ attorney that seeks to have the charge dismissed.
Parsons’ lawyer, Alan Cronheim of Sisti Law Offices, argues the law refers only to a minor under age 16 accessing a firearm and using it in a reckless or negligent manner and doesn’t apply to suicides. He said Parsons can’t be held liable because in this case the gun was “purposefully” used to commit suicide and that it was neither reckless nor negligent.
“It only matters that an improperly secured firearm was fired by someone under the proscribed age,” she wrote.
“To assert that this statute is only meant to apply to accidents by relying on the language ‘said firearm was negligently or recklessly discharged’ is to turn common sense on its head. This is a child safety law. New Hampshire seeks to protect children from access to firearms. New Hampshire seeks to protect children from gun accidents, suicides and mass shootings. To state otherwise is to ignore a horrifying and growing reality in this country that children are gaining access to loaded guns. They are not just falling prey to accidents alone, but are able to wreak havoc on themselves and the general public,” Harrington wrote.
“Defendant was aware that J.C. would be home, even if he, defendant, was not. J.C. had a bedroom in the home and was expected home later in the day. Knowing this, he left a loaded and fully operable .40-caliber handgun where it could be found and used. He placed it ‘under clothing’ in his closet, hardly a best practice while a 15-year-old boy is staying in the home. It is not ‘hypothetical or speculative’ that a 15-year-old boy would be curious about a service revolver,” she wrote.
A hearing on the motion to dismiss is scheduled for Feb. 24 at 8:15 a.m. in the Salem Circuit Court.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Man arrested for failing to register as sex offender - 0
- Two Keene men charged with burglary and assault - 0
- Shooting victim's spouse's car being searched - 0
- Altercation leads to suspect fleeing, threatening police - 0
- Crash ends high-speed chase in Lyndeborough - 0
- Good Samaritan pins Manchester purse snatcher - 0
- High speed chase ends in crash in Lyndeborough - 2
- Two Manchester women arrested in separate shoplifting incidents in Hooksett - 3
- Maine police search car belonging to husband of Londonderry shooting victim - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Pinkerton community excited about relationship with Google - 0
- OKC outguns Bonner, Spurs - 0
- Schaller sent back to minors - 0
- Mount Sunapee plan opponents want more hearings - 0
- Former Colonial Theatre finance director indicted - 0
- Circut Court Judge refuses to recuse himself from hearings - 0
- Pipeline push gets a second wind - 0
- Newbies welcome on NH slopes - 0
- Adding firefighters debated as curb to overtime - 0
Murder suspect fit for trial?
'Interview' buzz spreads to NH
Pipeline push gets a second wind
- Whom do you think bears the brunt of the blame for the mayhem this weekend in Keene?
- KSC students
- KSC administration
- Visitors from out of town
- A combination of any/all of the above
- Total Votes: 2483