Keene State College opens $1.2m Nursing Simulation Lab
KEENE — Expanding on the Nursing Program Keene State College started in 2011, the institution opened its new Nursing Simulation Lab last month.
The $1.2 million facility includes five patient areas and a nurses station set up just as they would be in current hospital environments.
This new lab is state of the art and cutting edge in every way, Fleeger said Tuesday.
A high-tech mannequin known as "METIman" is used to test the students on different patient scenarios. The METIman can be programmed for up to a hundred different health care scenarios.
"They can make it convulse," said Jessica Morissette, Keene State College nursing student and junior, set to graduate in 2015.
Tuesday students in the lab were trained on a ceiling lift.
Using mechanical lifts help nurses avoid the physical injuries that come with the job, Assistant Professor Cynthia G. Cahoon told her students Tuesday morning.
"You need a turn at being a patient," Cahoon said.
Morissette said the simulations and training with the equipment they will encounter in real health care situations gives her confidence. "We can say I do know how this feels like and don't worry I won't let you fall," Morissette said of using the lift.
Until then METIman can stand into have IV and catheter insertions, and have his pulse, body temperature and blood pressure taken.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- 'Arpy' Saunders, architect of Claremont lawsuit, dead at 72 - 2
- Nashua committee votes to OK policy that allows alcohol at school - 3
- Students honored for winning essays - 0
- Parents want answers on Ellis principal - 0
- Manchester charter school requests barriers between playground, street - 5
- Discovery of shotgun shell in locker room puts Stratham school into lockdown - 0
- Eighth-graders test underwater remote operated vehicles they built - 0
- McDonough School's 'Kids Closet' seeks to supply students with shoes, coats - 0
- Driver ed goes private, smaller in Manchester - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Police obtain warrants for suspect wanted in Dover, Manchester bank robberies - 0
- Abby Dion, 9, records a 10 in gymnastics meet - 0
- St. A skaters fall to Norwich - 0
- Monarchs lose in OT; win streak stops at 6 - 0
- Police searching for person stealing from cars in Manchester - 0
- College Football: Maine seniors want the coveted musket - 0
- College Hockey: Ice-making problem postpones UNH-PC - 0
- Pinkerton backfield a combination of power and speed - 0
- John Habib's City Sports: State Legion rejects Post 79’s request for senior team - 0
Jury acquits Mont Vernon driver, who was checking text, in death of former Amherst fire chief
Offend someone? To jail with you!
Driver acquitted in Amherst ex-chief’s death
A kinder, gentler House Speaker?
College Football: Wildcats are CAA champs
College Hockey: Providence blanks UNH