Keene State College opens $1.2m Nursing Simulation Lab
KEENE — Expanding on the Nursing Program Keene State College started in 2011, the institution opened its new Nursing Simulation Lab last month.
The $1.2 million facility includes five patient areas and a nurses station set up just as they would be in current hospital environments.
This new lab is state of the art and cutting edge in every way, Fleeger said Tuesday.
A high-tech mannequin known as "METIman" is used to test the students on different patient scenarios. The METIman can be programmed for up to a hundred different health care scenarios.
"They can make it convulse," said Jessica Morissette, Keene State College nursing student and junior, set to graduate in 2015.
Tuesday students in the lab were trained on a ceiling lift.
Using mechanical lifts help nurses avoid the physical injuries that come with the job, Assistant Professor Cynthia G. Cahoon told her students Tuesday morning.
"You need a turn at being a patient," Cahoon said.
Morissette said the simulations and training with the equipment they will encounter in real health care situations gives her confidence. "We can say I do know how this feels like and don't worry I won't let you fall," Morissette said of using the lift.
Until then METIman can stand into have IV and catheter insertions, and have his pulse, body temperature and blood pressure taken.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Manchester education standards proposal derided at public hearing - 6
- Proposed Common Core alternative will get public review tonight - 6
- New headmaster eager to take the reins at Pinkerton - 0
- SNHU, NH Institute of Art merger talk creates anxiety for some - 4
- UNH- Manchester looks to move into Pandora building - 2
- Wilton school project begins - 0
- Nashua explores taking over Brentwood School - 0
- Franklin Pierce lays off four full-time employees - 0
- New Highland-Goffe's Falls principal starts job today - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Two vehicle crash in Milton ends with one driver sustaining fatal injuries - 0
- Portland Sea Dogs get past NH Fisher Cats in righty’s first AA start of season - 0
- Keene Swamp Bats edge Sanford in NECBL action - 0
- Manchester's Hanover St. block party kicks off block party season - 0
- Little, MacDonald 1-2 in wild K&N 100 in Loudon - 0
- Kyle Busch focused leading up to Camping World RV Sales 301 - 0
- Somersworth man charged in three incidents - 0
- Hosts hoping for extended Little League district final - 0
- Assisted living facility proposed for Londonderry - 0
Outrageous waste: You overpaid by how much?
Another View -- Tiler Eaton: The Northern Pass project would help, not hurt, NH's economy
Coco is back in jail, but maybe not for long
With the NASCAR fans, Jr.'s The Man
VA woes across the country led NH to reforms